Comento di Christophoro Landino fiorentino sopra La comedia di Danthe Alighieri poeta fiorentino
- Uniform Title
- Divina commedia
- Impresso in Firenze : Per Nicholo di Lorenzo della Magna, a di XXX. dagosto. M.CCCC.LXXXI [30 August 1481].
- Physical description
-  p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|KA1481 .D36 F CB||In-library use|
- Publication date
- Title from caption on 1st p. of text ([i-iii]2).
- Imprint from colophon.
- Signatures: (first two gatherings unsigned): [i-iii]⁸ [**]⁶ a¹⁰ b⁸ c-e¹⁰ f⁸ g¹⁰ h-i⁸ l¹⁰ m-n⁸ o-r¹⁰ s⁶ 2a-2g¹⁰ 2h¹² 2l-2m¹⁰ 2o⁶ A⁸ B-H¹⁰ I⁶ L¹².
- The first three signed leaves of the first unsigned gathering are signed i, ii, iii, respectively; g3 unsigned; l5 signed l4; 2l5 signed v.ll; A1 signed aaai; A2 signed aaaii; G1 unsigned.
- Blanks: [i-iii]1, [**]6, a1, 2a1, L11-L12.
- Text surrounded by commentary; spaces for capitals.
- Engraving generally attributed to Baccio Baldini, after drawings by Sandro Botticelli.
- "A complete set of illustrations must have originally been planned for this edition. Engravings are known only for the first nineteen Cantos of the Inferno. Of these, only those for the first three Cantos are found impressed on the pages of the text ... The remaining engravings ... are found on separate slips of paper pasted in at their respective places."--Goff (rev.), D-29. Cf. A.M. Hind, Catalogue of early Italian engravings ... in the British Museum, 1910, pp. 83-94.
- On A1r there are 47 lines of text, the 46th ending finalmen and the 47th beginning te.
- BM 15th cent., VI, p. 628 (IC.27095b).
- Goff (rev.), D-29.
- GW 7966.
- Hain-Copinger 5496.
- ISTC (RLIN), id000029000b.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Rubrication: untouched. Imperfect: contains the illustrations for the first two cantos only, both of which appear printed directly on pages of text; lacks a1, 2L11-2L12 (all blanks). Binding: full red leather, gilt panels with gilt designs at each corner on upper and lower covers; guards; in box.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Binder's title: Coment. Danthe. Provenance: Giorgio Fanan (bookplate); Clifton Waller Barrett (armorial bookplate); Louis Thompson Rowe of XV Hammersmith Terrace, W. (booklabel); two armorial bookplates bearing the motto Vernon semper viret; unidentified armorial crest; foliated in ms., with errors.
Browse related items
Start at call number: