- [Strassburg : Johann Mentelin, 9 Nov. 1476]
- Physical description
-  p. ; 39 cm.
At the library
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
Library has: 1 v. <bound in 2v.>
|KA1476 .V58 F BB||In-library use|
- Sequitur tabula breuis alphabetica
- Primus liber Speculi moralis
- Liber secundus
- Tercius liber Speculi moralis
- De virginitate.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Speculum morale Vincent de Beauvais
- Title from Goff (rev.), V-288.
- Text begins (p. ): Incipit primus liber Speculi moralis, with Pars prima. De operibus. Distinct[i]o p[ri]ma at head of page.
- Ascribed to Vincent of Beauvais by BM 15th cent., I, p. 58 (IC.552); Goff (rev.), V-288 notes that the authorship is questioned. Cf. Speculum VIII no. 3 (July, 1933), p. 319, and More books (Nov. 1929), p. 365. The Catholic Encyclopedia suggests that it was drawn largely from St. Thomas Aquinas.
- Imprint from Goff (rev.), V-288.
- Without the colophon; known with and without colophon Cf. Goff (rev.), V-288.
- Gatherings (unsigned): *⁴ a-e¹⁰ f⁸ g-l¹⁰ m⁸ n⁸⁺² o⁸ p-t¹⁰ v⁸ x-z¹⁰ [et]¹⁰ [con]¹⁰ [rum]⁸ A-F¹⁰ G⁸ H-I¹⁰ K⁸ L⁶⁺¹ M-Q¹⁰ R⁸ S-Y¹⁰ Z¹².
- Pages -, -, - blank.
- Printed in double columns; spaces for capitals.
- BM 15th cent., I, p. 58 (IC.552)
- Copinger 6252.
- Goff (rev.), V-288.
- ISTC (RLIN), iv00288000.
- Action note
- Cons. Trans. #2734 (v.1) & #2736 (v.2).
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Rubrication: initial large capital in Primus liber & Tercius liber in red and blue; initials in red throughout; underscoring in blue. Imperfect: lacks p. - and - (blanks). Binding error: p. - misbound at end of text; p. - loose.
- Binding: full vellum over boards covered with early printed leaf with Latin text, rubricated; bound in 2 v. Binder's title: Belvacen[?] Spec. Moral; each v. in case with title: Speculum morale Vincent de Beauvais, v.1, pt.1 and v.1, pt.2, respectively.
- Stanford copy 1 (RBC): Provenance: Ewald Flügel Library (label); Oswald Weigel Antiquariat & Auctions-Institut Leipzig ... (ink-stamp); ms. marginalia and fists; signatures on gatherings supplied in ms. (with errors); guide letters supplied in ms.; some loss due to trimming.
Browse related items
Start at call number: