Polymer durability : degradation, stabilization, and lifetime prediction
- Washington, DC : American Chemical Society, 1996.
- Physical description
- 712 p.
- Advances in chemistry series 0065-2393 ; 249
QD381.9 .D47 P654 1996
- Unknown QD381.9 .D47 P654 1996
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Auxiliary Mechanism for Transfer to Monomer during Vinyl Chloride Polymerization: Implications for Thermal Stability of Poly(vinyl chloride)-- Thermal Stability, Degradation, and Stabilization Mechanisms of Poly(vinyl chloride)-- Thermolysis of Poly(chloroethyl methacrylates) and Poly(chloroethyl acrylates)-- Thermal Degradation of Automotive Plastics: A Possible Recycling Opportunity-- Mechanisms of Thermal and Photodegradations of Bisphenol A Polycarbonate-- Photoaging of Substituted and Unsubstituted Silicones-- Photolysis of Methylene 4,4#'-Diphenyldiisocyanate-Based Polyurethane Ureas and Polyureas-- Formation and Removal of Singlet (a'*G[g) Oxygen in Bulk Polymers: Events That May Influence Photodegradation-- Photodegradation Mechanisms of Poly(p-phenylene sulfide) and Its Model Compounds-- Far-Ultraviolet Degradation of Selected Polymers-- Physical Spreading and Heterogeneity in Oxidation of Polypropylene-- Inherent Relations of Chemiluminescence and Thermooxidation of Polymers-- Chemiluminescence of Polymer Materials during Thermal Oxidation and Stress-- Luminescence from Nile Red in Poly(n-Butyl methacrylate)-- Oxyluminescence of Cross-Linked Amine Epoxies: Diglycidylether of Bisphenol A-Diaminodiphenyl Sulfone System-- Chemiluminescence Analysis and Computed X-Ray Tomography of Oxidative Degradation in Polymers-- Odor Characterization of Low-Density Polyethylene Used for Food-Contact Applications-- Activity Mechanisms of Amines in Polymer Stabilization-- Photostability of UV Screeners in Polymers and Coatings-- Light Stabilization of Bisphenol A Polycarbonate-- Photostabilization of Macromolecular Materials by UV-Cured Protective Coatings-- Measurements of Chemical Change Rates to Select Superior Automotive Clearcoats-- Action Mechanisms of Phosphite and Phosphonite Stabilizers-- Characterization of Conversion Products Formed during Degradation of Processing Antioxidants-- Effect of Stabilization of Polypropylene during Processing and Its Influence on Long-Term Behavior under Thermal Stress-- Fluorophosphonites as Co-Stabilizers in Stabilization of Polyolefins-- Processing Effects on Antioxidant Transformations and Solutions to the Problem of Antioxidant Migration-- Diffusion of Benzotriazoles in Polypropylene: Influence of Polymer Morphology and Stabilizer Structure-- Diffusion and Solubility of Hindered Amine Light Stabilizers in Polyolefins: Influence on Stabilization Efficiency and Implications for Polymer-Bound Stabilizers-- Reactive Oligomeric Light Stabilizers-- Weathering of Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene Plastics: Compositional Effects on Impact and Color-- Thermal and Photooxidation of Miscible Polymer Blends-- Influence of Titanium Dioxide Pigments on Thermal and Photochemical Oxidation and Stabilization of Polyolefin Films-- Prediction of Elastomer Lifetimes from Accelerated Thermal-Aging Experiments-- Mechanisms of Photooxidation of Polyolefins: Prediction of Lifetime in Weathering Conditions-- Degradation Profiles of Thick High-Density Polyethylene Samples after Outdoor and Artificial Weathering-- Comparison of UV Degradation of Polyethylene in Accelerated Test and Sunlight-- Measurement of Radical Yields To Assess Radiation Resistance in Engineering Thermoplastics-- Thermal Scission and Cross-Linking during Polyethylene Melt Processing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Providing a comprehensive overview of the science of polymer durability, this work discusses the molecular mechanisms of polymer aging and deterioration, emphasizing UV and thermal exposure environments. It describes a variety of analytical techniques for studying degradation, with special emphasis on chemiluminescence. Covering advances in the use of additives and other approaches for enhancing polymer stability, it reviews mechanisms and applications of major classes of stabilizers, and discusses the problem of stabilizer migration and loss. It also examines new methods for predicting the aging rate and lifetime of a material.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Roger L. Clough, editor, Norman C. Billingham, editor, Kenneth T. Gillen, editor.
- "Developed from a symposium sponsored by the Division of Polymer Chemistry, Inc., at the 206th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Chicago, Illinois, August 22-27, 1993."
- 0841231346 (hardbound)
- 9780841231344 (hardbound : alk. paper)