GNIS [electronic resource] : geographic names information system : digital gazetteer
- U.S. Geological Survey.
- [Reston, Va.] : U.S. Geological Survey, National Mapping Division
- Physical description
- CD-ROMs ; 4 3/4 in.
At the library
Earth Sciences Library (Branner)
Library has: 1995, 1998-
Library has: Supplement: 1993 MANUAL
- Database for feature names authorized by U.S. Board on Geographic Names; includes information on place names, features, and areas in the 50 states, District of Columbia, and territories and outlying areas of the United States, and <1999-> Antarctica.
- Beginning date
- Ending date
- Title Variation
- Container spine has title: GNIS digital gazetteer <1999->
- Geographic Names Information System
- Digital gazetteer
- Vol/date range
- Began with June 1991 issue? Ceased in 1999.
- "Software by Dataware."
- "US GeoData"--199 -199.
- Includes National geographic names data base, National topographic map names data base, and Reference data base.
- Description based on: Feb. 1995; title from disc label.
- Latest issue consulted: July 1999.
- File/Data Type
- Written in ISO 9660 format.
- Contents available via online searchable database at the USGS web site. Address as of 6/21/99: http://mapping.usgs.gov/www/gnis/; current access is available via PURL.
- System requirements: IBM PC/XT/AT or compatible computer with 512 KB memory (minimum 384K free memory), 20 MB hard disk drive, CD-ROM drive with appropriate controller, interface cable with High Sierra or ISO 9660 compatible device driver, MS-DOS 3.0 or higher, Microsoft Extensions, graphic display device such as Super VGA, and graphic printer.
- Vols. for <1999-> issued by U.S. Geological Survey.
- Some issues accompanied by users manual.
- Included Work
- National geographic names data base.
- Antarctica geographic names data base.
- National topographic map names data base.
- Reference data base.