An introduction to theories of popular culture
- Dominic Strinati.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 1995.
- Physical description
- 301 p.
- Strinati, Dominic.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction-- 1. Mass Culture and Popular Culture-- 2. The Frankfurt School and the Culture Industry-- 3. Structuralism, Semiology and Popular Culture-- 4. Marxism, Political Economy and Ideology-- 5. Feminism and Popular Culture-- 6. Postmodernism and Popular Culture-- Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415124690 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- An Introduction to Theories of Popular Culture is the essential guide to the major theories of popular culture. Dominic Strinati examines the ways in which these theories have tried to understand and evaluate popular culture in modern societies. Among the theories and ideas the book introduces are mass culture, the Frankfurt School and the culture industry, semiology and structuralism, Marxism, feminism, post modernism and cultural populism. Strinati explains how theorists such as Adorno, Barthes, Althusser and Hebdige have grappled with the many forms of popular culture, from Jazz to the Americanization of British popular culture, from Hollywood cinema to popular television series, and from teen magazines to the spy novel. This best-selling text has been widely adopted on cultural studies, sociology and media studies courses and, together with Strinati's new publication An Introduction to Studying Popular Culture , will provide an essential introduction to popular culture.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415124690 20160527
- This is an introductory guide to the main theories of popular culture. It examines the main areas of contemporary popular cultural studies, such as the theories of Adorno and the Frankfurt School, structuralism, semiology, Marxism, feminism and postmodernism, and offers basic definitions of key terms such as "mass culture" and "popular culture".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415124706 20160527
- Popular culture.
- Publication date
- 0415124700 (pbk.)
- 9780415124706 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: