The Healing past : pharmaceuticals in the biblical and rabbinic world
- edited by Irene and Walter Jacob.
- Leiden ; New York : E.J. Brill, 1993.
- Physical description
- xv, 126 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Studies in ancient medicine, 0925-1421 ; v. 7
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
This volume focuses on our present knowledge of pharmaceuticals in the Biblical and Rabbinic world, a subject which has received relatively little attention. Although many aspects of ancient Near Eastern cultural life have been studied thoroughly, no one has dealt with the pharmaceutical knowledge of this period. The essays in this study deal with their themes in different ways and demonstrate various approaches which may prove fruitful for further investigation. References in specialized studies and archaeologial field work have demonstrated that our knowledge in this area continues to grow. The fragmented and isolated nature of this material has led to its remaining unknown to those interested in the history of medicine, pharmacy and horticulture. The authors have sought to fill this gap.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Bible > Congresses.
- Pharmacy > Middle East > History > Congresses.
- Drugs > Middle East > History > Congresses.
- Medicinal plants > Middle East > History > Congresses.
- Drugs in the Bible > Congresses.
- Medicine in rabbinical literature > Congresses.
- Plants, Medicinal > congresses.
- Drugs > history > congresses.
- History of Medicine, Ancient > congresses.
- Jews > congresses.
- Publication date
- 9004096434 (cloth)
- 9789004096431 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: