Italian women writers : a bio-bibliographical sourcebook
- Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1994.
- Physical description
- xxxi, 476 p.
- Russell, Rinaldina.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Vittoria Aganoor Pompilj by Giuliana Sanguinetti Katz-- Sibilla Aleramo by Fiora A. Bassanese-- Isabella Andreini by Nancy Dersofi-- Tullia d'Aragona by Rinaldina Russell-- Anna Banti by Beverly Ballaro-- Laura Battiferri Ammannati by Giovanna Rabitti-- Luisa Bergalli by Pamela D. Stewart-- Caterina da Siena by Suzanne Noffke-- Laura Cereta by Albert Rabil, Jr.-- Fausta Cialente by Bruce Merry-- Vittoria Colonna by Fiora A. Bassanese-- Contessa Lara by Bruce Merry-- Alba de Cespedes by Ellen Nerenberg-- Grazia Deledda by Marilyn Migiel-- Cassandra Fedele by Diana Robin-- Moderata Fonte by Paola Malpezzi Price-- Veronica Franco by Marilyn Migiel-- Veronica Gambara by Rinaldina Russell-- Natalia Ginzburg by Bruce Merry and Julie Docker-- Amalia Guglielminetti by Barbara Turoff-- Margherita Guidacci by Renata Treitel and Ruth Feldman-- Armanda Guiducci by Fiora A. Bassanese-- Gina Lagorio by Paola Blelloch-- Alessandra Macinghi Strozzi by Mia Cocco-- Gianna Manzini by Beverly Ballaro-- Dacia Maraini by Carol Lazzaro-Weis-- Faustina Maratti Zappi by Antonio Franceschetti-- Lucrezia Marinella by Paola Malpezzi Price-- Chiara Matraini by Giovanna Rabitti-- Maria Messina by Maria Nina Lombardo-- Elsa Morante by Rocco Capozzi-- Olympia Morata by Albert Rabil, Jr.-- Isabella di Morra by Juliana Schiesari-- Neera by Bruce Merry-- Ada Negri by Bruce Merry-- Giulia Niccolai by Rebecca West-- Isotta Nogarola by Margaret L. King-- Caterina Percoto by Hermann W. Haller-- Antonia Pozzi by Rebecca West-- Antonia Pulci by Bernard Toscani-- Rosa Rosa by Cristina Della Coletta-- Amelia Rosselli by Christina Della Coletta-- Suor Maria Clemente Ruoti by Elissa B. Weaver-- Diodata Saluzzo Roero by Antonio Franceschetti and Giuliana Sanguinetti Katz-- Matilde Serao by Ursula J. Fanning-- Maria Luisa Spaziani by Barbara Zecchi-- Gaspara Stampa by Fiora A. Bassanese-- Suor Arcangela Tarabotti by Elissa B. Weaver-- Laura Terracina by Nancy Dersofi-- Lucrezia Tornabuoni by Rinaldina Russell-- Annie Vivanti by Bruce Merry.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Women have had a long and active role in Italian letters. This reference work contains biographical, critical and bibliographical profiles of 51 writers from the 14th century to the present day. The entries are written by contributors knowledgeabale in the historical period in which their chosen writers lived, and reflect both the literary tradition that conditioned their works and the modern gender issues that have shaped contemporary critical interpretation. For easy reference, the entries in this volume are organised alphabetically and have a uniform format. The first section of each entry is a biographical outline that places primary emphasis on the writer's career and her literary contributions. The second section analyses recurrent themes, with special regard to the writer's major works. The third section surveys her critical fortune and includes a bibliography, which lists primary works, English translations, and critical studies of the writer. The writers included represent different periods in Italian cultural history and offer a wide variety of women's literary experience.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Italian literature > Women authors > History and criticism.
- Italian literature > Women authors > Bio-bibliography.
- Women authors, Italian > Biography.
- Latin literature, Medieval and modern > Italy > Women authors > History and criticism.
- Latin literature, Medieval and modern > Italy > Women authors > Bio-bibliography.
- Authors, Latin (Medieval and modern) > Italy > Biography.
- Feminism and literature > Italy.
- Publication date
- edited by Rinaldina Russell.
- Contains studies of fifty-one Italian women writers including fifteenth century women humanists who wrote exclusively in Latin as well as Annie Vivanti, Amelia Rosselli, and Rosa Rosà who were born in London, in Paris, and in Austria respectively. Cf. CIP pref.
- 0313283478 (alk. paper)
- 9780313283475 (alk. paper)