Freedom's plow : teaching in the multicultural classroom
- edited by Theresa Perry, James W. Fraser.
- New York : Routledge, 1993.
- Physical description
- xv, 309 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part 1 Multicultural Education: An Issue at the Heart of Democratic Education:
- 1. Reconstructing Schools as Multi-racial/Multi-ethnic Democracies - Towards a Theoretical Perspective, T. Perry and J.W. Fraser.
- Part 2 The Practice of Multicultural Education - Doing the Work
- 2. Different Ways of Seeing - Teaching in an Anti-Racist School, L. Mizell, et al--
- 3. Classroom Tapestry - A Practitioner's Perspective in Multicultural Education, J.J. Richards--
- 4. The Blind Men (Women) and the Elephant - A Case for a Comprehensive Multicultural Education Programme at the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, S. Dickerson--
- 5. Transformative Pedagogy and Multiculturalism--
- 6. Multicultural Teacher Introspection, N.M. Hidalago.
- Part 3 Developing the Curriculum of Multicultural Education - Revisioning the Canon and Curriculum of the Schools,
- 7. Promises, Pitfalls, and Principles of Text Selection in Curricular Diversification - the Asian American Case, S.C. Wong--
- 8. Beyond Island Boundaries - Ethnicity, Gender, and Cultural Revitalizaiton in Nuyorian Literature, E. Acosta-Belen--
- 9. In Search of Asia through Music - Guidelines and Ideas for Teaching Asian Music, S. Asai--
- 10. African American Children's Literature - The First One Hundred Years, V.J. Harris--
- 11. The Passions of Pluralism - Multiculturalism and the Expanding Community, M. Greene-- 12.To Fight Swimming with the Current - Reclaiming Movement History, C.L. McDowell and P. Sullivan.
- Part 4 School Structures which Foster Multicultural Education - Shifting the Power, Shifting the Players:
- 13. One Step Among Many - Affirming Identity in Anti-Racist Schools, K. Greeley and L. Mizell--
- 14. Afrocentric Immersion - Academic and Personal Development of African American Males in Public Schools, P. Murrell--
- 15. Afrocentric Living is a Big Lover, That's Why I Fly High Like a Dove - A Theorization on the Authority and Cultural Location of Afrocentrism, I. Perry--
- 16. "Choice" for the Chosen - the False Promise of Market Driven Education, R. Lowe--
- 17. The Politics of Teaching Literate Discourse, L. Delpit.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This collaboration between academics and practising teachers offers a theoretical discussion of the place of multicultural education in a democracy. Personal chapters from teachers at every level - from first grade to college - explore how decisions to teach in a multicultural manner have changed classroom practice. Accompanying these are essays aimed at increasing the knowledge base of teachers who want to explore multicultural issues in their own schools. Subjects covered include African/American children's literature; Asian music; and issues of topical concern - for instance school choice, Afrocentrism and rap music. The contributors come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds and include both emerging and established names in the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0415907004 (pbk.)
- 9780415907002 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: