Artificial life III : proceedings of the Workshop on Artificial Life, held June 1992 in Santa Fe, New Mexico
- editor, Christopher G. Langton.
- Reading, Mass. : Addison-Wesley, Advanced Book Program, c1994.
- Physical description
- 599 p.
- Proceedings volume in the Santa Fe Institute studies in the sciences of complexity ; v. 17.
- Artificial Life Workshop (3rd : 1992 : Santa Fe, N.M.)
- Langton, Christopher G.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- * An Instance of a Replicator Erik Schultes * A Case for Lamarckian Evolution David H. Ackley and Michael L. Littman * Evolution and Coevolution in a Rugged Fitness Landscape Per Bak, Henrik Flyvbjerg, and Benny Lathrup * Evolution to the Edge of Chaos in an Imitation Game Kunihiko Kaneko and Junji Suzuki * Coevolving High-Level Representations Peter J. Angeline and Jordan B. Pollack * Artificial Food Webs Kristian Lindgren and Mats G. Nordahl * Evolution of Size-Structured, Predator-Prey Community Alan R. Johnson * Iterated Prisoners Dilemma with Choice and Refusal of Partners E. Ann Stanley, Dan Ashlock, and Leigh Tesfastion * Contest and Scramble Competitions in an Artificial World: Genetic Analysis with Genetic Algorithms Yukihiko Toquenaga, Masanori Ichinose, Tsutomu Hoshino and Koichi Fujii * Emergent Properties of Balinese Water Temple Networks: Coadaptation on a Rugged Fitness Landscape J. Stephen Lansing and James N. Kremer * Artificial Life: Spontaneous Emergence of Self-Replicating and Evolutionary Self-Improving Computer Programs John R. Koza * Computational Genetics, Physiology, Metabolism, Neural Systems, Learning, Vision, and Behavioral or PolyWorld: Life in a New Context Larry Yaeger * Evolutionary Robotics and SAGA: The Case for Hill Crawling and Tournament Selection Inman Harvey * An Evolved, Vision-Based Model of Obstacle Avoidance Behavior Craig W. Reynolds * Simulation of Autonomous Legged Locomotion David Zeltzer and Michael McKenna * The Motility of Microrobots Johndale C. Solem * A Simulation Testbed for the Study of Multicellular Development: The Multiple Mechanisms of Morpohogenesis Kurt Fleischer and Alan H. Barr * Swarms, Phase Transitions, and Collective Intelligence Mark M. Millonas * How Topology Affects Population Dynamics Jeffrey O. Kephart * The Ghost in the Machine Andrew Wuensche * The Computational Completeness of Rays Tierran Assembly Language Carlo C. Maley * Emergence, Hierarchies, and Hyperstructures Nils A. Baas * Artificial Life: Synthetic vs. Virtual Stevan Harnad * Is Life as a Multiverse Phenomenon? Claus Emmeche * Against the Global Replacement: On the Application of the Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence to Artificial Life Brian L. Keeley.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780201624946 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This is the third volume of papers of the proceedings of the Artificial Life workshops, held at the Santa Fe Institute in 1987, 1990 and 1992. The book continues to highlight the latest discoveries of this rapidly advancing field. Papers cover work that continues and extends the application of artificial life techniques to science and engineering problems in basic biology, ecology, evolutionary theory, growth and development, the molecular synthesis of life and robotics. The book also includes papers addressing philosophical and ethical issues raised by the pursuit of artificial life.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780201624922 20160528
- Artificial Life is the study of man-made systems that exhibit behaviors characteristic of natural living systems, such as self-organization, reproduction, development, and even evolution. It complements the traditional biological sciences concerned with the analysis of living organisms by attempting to synthesize and study life-like behaviors within computers or other alternative media. By extending the empirical foundation upon which biology rests beyond the carbon-chain based life that has evolved on Earth, Artificial Life can contribute to the theoretical biology by locating life-as-we-know-it within the larger context of life-as-it-could-be, in any of its possible physical incarnations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780201624946 20160528
- Publication date
- Proceedings, Santa Fe Institute studies in the sciences of complexity ; v. 17
- Related Work
- Artificial life three.
- Artificial life 3.
- 0201624923 (hardcover)
- 020162494X (paperback)
- 9780201624922 (hardcover)
- 9780201624946 (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: