Principles of laboratory animal science : a contribution to the humane use and care of animals and to the quality of experimental results
- edited by L.F.M. van Zutphen, V. Baumans, A.C. Beynen.
- Amsterdam ; New York : Elsevier, 1993.
- Physical description
- xiv, 389 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
At the library
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
|QL55 .P76 1993||Available|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Legislation and animal experimentation (P.C.M. de Greeve, J. Hampson, L.F.M. van Zutphen). Biology and husbandry of laboratory animals (R. Havenaar et al.). Behaviour, stress and well-being (J.M. Koolhaas et al.). Standardization of animal experimentation (A.C. Beynen, K, Gartner, L.F.M. van Zutphen). Nutrition and experimental results (A.C. Beynen, M.E. Coates, G.W. Meijer). Genetic standardization (L.F.M. van Zutphen et al.). Microbiological standardization (R. Boot, J.P. Koooman, I. Kunstyr). Diseases of laboratory animals (H. van Herck, J.W.M.A. Mullink, M.C. Bosland). Animal models (W.J.I. van der Gulden, A.C. Beynen, J. Hau). Phases in an animal experiment (A.C. Beynen, M.F.W. Fasting). Design of animal experiments (A.C. Beynen, M.F.W. Fasting, M.A.J. van Montfort). Organization and management of animal experiments (P.G.C . Hermans et al). Recognition of pain and distress (J.A.R.A.M. van Hooff, V. Baumans, P.F. Brain). Anaesthesia, analgesia and euthanasia (A.P.M.G. Bertens et al). Experimental procedures (V. Baumans et al). Alternatives to animal experimentation (J. Nab, M. Balls, C. F. M. Hendriksen). Ethical aspects of animal experimentation (Tj. de Cock Buning, F.R. Heeger, H. Verhoog).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
It is now widely recognized that education and training in laboratory animal science are essential for the humane use of animals for scientific purposes and for the quality of results. This book contains basic facts and principles covering the main theoretical aspects of this subject, encompassing welfare as well as ethical issues. After a general introduction and a glimpse into legislation, information is presented on the biology and husbandry of the most frequently used animal species and the relationship between behaviour, stress and well-being. The book also covers aspects of standardization, diseases of laboratory animals and their effect on welfare and experiment results, recognition of pain and distress, anaesthesia, the possibilities and limitations of the use of alternatives and the ethics of animal experimentation. This should be of value as a handbook for all those involved directly and indirectly in the care and use of (experimental) laboratory animals.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0444814876 (pbk.)
- 9780444814876 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: