Dictionary of European proverbs
- collected by Emanuel Strauss.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 1994.
- Physical description
- 3 v. ; 24 cm.
- Strauss, Emanuel.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Select contents: include over 70,000 proverbs in 65 European languages, arranged in groups of semantic equivalents. The English proverbs are listed alphabetically and also indexed by some 120,000 keywords in other languages. The text includes Latin origins as well as historical terms.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415096249 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The three volumes of this Dictionary contain over 50,000 proverbs, in some 70 European languages and dialects, arranged in 2,500 sets. It is the fruits of over 40 years of collection and research, the only collection of proverbs on anything like this scale ever to be published anywhere in the world. Emanuel Strauss has trawled through innumerable collections of proverbs in all languages, from incunabula and rare items to the latest theses and journals, and grouped together many thousands of proverbs in sets of equivalent meaning. * For example the English proverb "well begun is half done" is linked with four variants and sixteen equivalents in half a dozen languages, including the French "le commencement est la moitie du tout", German "Anfang und Ende reichen einander die Hande" and Latin "dimidium facti qui coepit habet". Special Features and Structure * Within each set the languages follow a consistent order, beginning with English. * Within each Language the proverbs are ordered alphabetically. * A separate index volume provides ready access to any proverb by way of its key words. * A comprehensive bibliography details more than 500 sources from which the proverbs have been gathered Native Language Speakers and Language Specialists Mark Allinson, University of Leeds, Ruth Bagnall, University of Cambridge, Linara Bartkuviene, University of Oxford, .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415096249 20160528
- Proverbs, European.
- Publication date
- Over 50,000 proverbs in 70 European languages and dialects arranged in around 2,500 sets of semantic equivalents.
- 0415096243 : $375
- 0415103800 (v. 1)
- 9780415103800 (v. 1)
- 0415103819 (v. 2)
- 9780415103817 (v. 2)
- 0415103827 (Bibliography & index)
- 9780415103824 (Bibliography & index)
- 9780415096249 (set)
Browse related items
Start at call number: