The Oxford history of classical art
- edited by John Boardman.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1993.
- Physical description
- ix, 406 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.), maps ; 29 cm.
- Boardman, John, 1927-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -382) and index.
- Introduction (John Boardman)-- The Archaic Period (Alan Johnston)-- The Classical Period (John Boardman)-- The Hellenistic Period (R. R. R. Smith)-- The Early Roman Period (J. J. Pollitt)-- The Later Roman Period (Jane Huskinson)-- The Diffusion of Classical Art in Antiquity (John Boardman).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198143864 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- The art and architecture of Ancient Greece and Rome lies at the heart of the classical tradition of the Western world. Their legacy is so familiar as to have become commonplace. The legacy may appear simple, but the development of classical art in antiquity was complex and remarkably swift. It ran from near abstraction in 8th-century BC Greece, through years of observation and learning from the arts of the non-Greek world to the East and, in Egypt, to the brilliance of the classical revolution of the 5th century, which revealed attitudes and styles undreamt of by other cultures. After Alexander the Great, this became the art of an empire, readily learned by Rome and further developed according to the Romans' special character and needs until it provided the idiom for the imaging of Christianity. In this book, the story of this pageant of the arts is told by five leading scholars. Their aim has been to demonstrate how the arts served very different societies and patrons; the roles and objectives of the artists; the way in which the classical style was disseminated far beyond the borders of the Greek and Roman world; and the splendour and quality of the arts themselves.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198143864 20160528
- Publication date
- Related Work
- Classical art.
- 0198143869 (acid-free paper) : £35.00
- 9780198143864 (acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: