Companion encyclopedia of the history and philosophy of the mathematical sciences
- edited by I. Grattan-Guinness.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 1994.
- Physical description
- 2 v. (xiii, 1806 p.) : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Routledge reference
Math & Statistics Library
Library has: v.1-
|QA21 .E57 1994 V.1||In-library use|
|QA21 .E57 1994 V.2||In-library use|
- Grattan-Guinness, I.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Select Contents 1. Ancient and non-Western traditions 2. The Western Middle Ages and the Renaissance 3. Calculus and mathematical analysis 4. Functions, series and methods in analysis 5. Logic, set theories, and the foundations of mathematics 6. Algebras and number theory 7. Geometries and topology 8. Mechanics and mechanical engineering 9. Physics and mathematical physics, and electrical engineering 10. Probability and statistics, and the social sciences 11. Higher education and institutions 12. Mathematics and culture.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415037853 20160527
- Publisher's Summary
- This Companion Encyclopedia examines the history and philosophy of the mathematical sciences in a cultural context, tracing their evolution from ancient times up to the twentieth century. In 176 articles contributed by authors of 18 nationalities, the work describes and analyses the variety of theories, proofs, and techniques, as well as practical applications, of pure, applied and statistical mathematics. It demonstrates the importance of the subject today, treating its historical interactions with the related disciplines of physics, astronomy, engineering, philosophy and the social sciences. It also covers the history of higher education in mathematics and the growth of institutions and organizations connected with the development of the subject. Special Features * 176 articles contributed by authors of eighteen nationalities * Annotated bibliographies of both classic and contemporary sources * Unique coverage of Ancient and non-Western traditions of mathematics * illustrated with line figures, 47 half-tones and 3 tables * Chronological table of main events in the development of mathematics * Fully integrated index of people, events and topics.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415037853 20160527
- Publication date
- 0415037859 (set : acid-free paper)
- 0415092388 (vol. 1 : acid-free paper)
- 0415092396 (vol. 2 : acid-free paper)
- 9780415037853 (set : acid-free paper)
- 9780415092388 (vol. 1 : acid-free paper)
- 9780415092395 (vol. 2 : acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: