Eadweard Muybridge and the photographic panorama of San Francisco, 1850-1880
- David Harris, with Eric Sandweiss.
- Montréal : Canadian Centre for Architecture = Centre canadien d'architecture, 1993.
- Physical description
- 135 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 26 x 31 cm + 1 folded sheet.
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|F869 .S3 M78 1993 F||In-library use|
- Includes bibliographical references: p. 131-134.
- Publisher's Summary
- These photographs from the CCA collection and other private and public collections document one of the supreme technical and conceptual achievements in the history of architectural photography. On July 14, 1877, Eadweard Muybridge (1830-1904) announced in the "San Francisco Chronicle" the publication of a set of photographs, "Panorama of San Francisco from California Street Hill". It was available in two formats: as a set of albumen prints mounted on cabinet cards, and as an album of 11 albumen prints. Approximately one year later, Muybridge rephotographed the view, this time using a mammoth-plate camera. The result, a 360-degree panorama measuring more than 17 feet in length, was published as an album, comprising 13 albumen prints. This book documents Muybridge's panoramas of a now vanished San Francisco, and also discusses the antecedents of his work, thereby placing it within its historical context.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780262082204 20160528
- Publication date
- Exhibition held at the Canadian Centre for Architecture, in Montréal, from 31 Mar. to 25 July 1993, then circulated to the Friends of Photography, Ansel Adams Center, in San Francisco from 1 Sept. to 24 Oct. 1993, and to the Musée Carnavalet, Paris.
- 0920785379 (bound) : $75.00
- 0920785395 (pbk) : $45.00
- 9780920785379 (hard cover)
- 9780920785393 (soft cover)
- 0262082209 (MIT : hard cover)
- 9780262082204 (MIT : hard cover)
- 0262581213 (MIT : soft cover)
- 9780262581219 (MIT : soft cover)
Browse related items
Start at call number: