Communicating in science : writing a scientific paper and speaking at scientific meetings
- Vernon Booth.
- 2nd ed.
- Cambridge [England] ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- Physical description
- xvi, 78 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Booth, Vernon.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 69-73) and index.
- Foreword-- Balloons and instructions for the typist and the printer-- Explanation for the second edition-- Glossary of some printer's terms-- 1. Writing a scientific paper-- 2. Before you lecture or talk to us, please read this-- 3. Empty numbers-- 4. Preparation of the script and figures-- 5. Addressed to those for whom English is a foreign language-- 6. An appeal to North Americans-- 7. Preparation of a doctoral dissertation or thesis-- 8. Further reading-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521429153 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- Writing scientific papers and giving talks at meetings and conferences are essential parts of research scientists' work, and this short, straightforwardly written book will help workers in all scientific disciplines to present their results effectively. The first chapter is about writing a scientific paper and is a revision of a prize-winning essay. Later chapters discuss the preparation of typescripts, speaking at meetings and writing theses. There are also chapters addressed particularly to those scientists to whom English is a foreign language and to those in North America. The last chapter gives information about dictionaries, style books and other literature. The book draws on the author's wealth of experience in presenting his own work and in editing the work of others, and he draws his examples from a range of subjects.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521429153 20160528
- Publication date
- 0521429153 (pbk.)
- 9780521429153 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: