Postmodernism and Islam : predicament and promise
- by Akbar S. Ahmed.
- New York, NY : Routledge, 1992.
- Physical description
- 294 p.
- Ahmed, Akbar S.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Postmodernism and Islam i. Questions For Our Age ii. Grappling with Postmodernism iii. Muslim Entry into the Postmodernist Phase of History iv. Muslim Dilemma
- 2. Greek Gods and Semitic Prohets i. The Greeks and the Semites ii. Star iii. Cross iv. Crescent
- 3. Confrontation and Clash i. Islam and the West: A Third Encounter of the Close Kind ii. The Continuing Impact of the European Legacy iii. The Tyranny of the Nation-State iv. Kashmir: A Paradigmatic Post-Modernist Muslim Movement?
- 4. Studying Islam i. Muslim Scholarship ii. The Satanic Verses Affair iii. The Growth of Occidentalism iv. Non-Muslim Observers of Islam
- 5. Culture and Change i. Your Jeans for You, My Robes for Me ii. Islamic Art and Architecture iii. Changing Western Society iv. Dangerous Crossings
- 6. The Evil Demon: The Media as Master i. Understanding the Demon ii. The Demon and the Disintegration of the Family iii. Muslims and the Demon iv. Conclusion: Taming the Demon. References. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Can West and East ever understand each other? In this extraordinary book one of the world's leading Muslim scholars explores an area which has which has been almost entirely neglected by scholars in the field - the area of postmodernism and Islam. This landmark work is startling, constantly perceptive and certain to be debated for years to come.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 0415062926 (hb)
- 0415062934 (pb)
- 9780415062923 (hb)
- 9780415062930 (pb)
Browse related items
Start at call number: