Dante col sito, et forma dell'inferno
- Uniform Title
- Divina commedia
- [Venice : Alessandro Paganino, 1515]
- Physical description
- 202,  leaves : illustrations, map ; 11 cm
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
Z239.6 .P34 D36 1515 T
Note: Copy 1
Z239.6 .P34 D36 1515 T
Note: Copy 2
- Publication date
- Imprint from Nuovo.
- One of two editions, both without imprint, imposed in long 24mo format. Both are assigned to Alessandro Paganino on the basis of the format and the italic type in which they are set. This edition is foliated in arabic numerals; the other edition is foliated in Roman numerals. Cf. Cornell Dante collection.
- Paganino was active in Venice ca. 1509-1517 and then at Toscolano ca. 1519-1538. This ed. has been variously assigned to Venice, ca. 1515 or 1516, and to Toscolano, ca. 1520. Paganino eds. in long 24mo format and with foliation in roman numerals are known with both Venice and Toscolano imprints dated between 1515 and 1521; Paganino eds. with foliation in arabic numerals are known from the 1520s.
- Signatures: A-X⁸ 2A-2D⁸ 2E⁴.
- Several errors in foliation; leaves 9, 10, 15 foliated in Roman numerals.
- The illustrations consist of a double-page woodcut map of hell (leaves 202v-r), a double-page woodcut diagram of the sins punished in hell (leaves v-r), and a single-page woodcut diagram of the sins punished in purgatory (leaf v).
- Letter of Alessandro Paganino to Giulio de' Medici (elected Pope Clement VII in 1523) on leaf 1v.
- Nuovo, A. Alessandro Paganino, p. 157, no. 28.
- Koch, T.W. Cornell Dante collection, I, p. 7.
- BM STC Italian, 1465-1600, p. 209.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 1: Binding: gilt decorated red morocco; green silk end-papers. Binding error: last leaf bound verso recto, so that ill. of sins of inferno does not face its other half on v.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 2: Provenance: Giorgio Fanan (bookplate). Imperfect: lacks signatures a, 2D & 2E, which are replaced with leaves evidently reproduced from Roman numeral copy, so that 1st gathering is numbered [I]-VIII and last leaves are numbered CXCIII-CXCVIII, 199, [blank], 201, 202.
- Italy -- Venice.
Browse related items
Start at call number: