Communicating science : a handbook
- Michael Shortland and Jane Gregory.
- Harlow, England : Longman Scientific ; New York : Wiley, 1991.
- Physical description
- xii, 186 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Part 1 Introduction: why communicate?-- science and the public-- how not to become an expert - avoiding expert-ese, filling the knowledge gap. Part 2 Writing: outlets and opportunities - news, features, books, book reviews-- style and subtance - a scientist's guide to style, the shock of the new, word pictures, good for a laugh?, form and function, beginnings and endings, rewriting-- words and sentences - jargon, short and sweet, word chemistry, sentence structure, punctuation-- numbers - quantities, probabilities-- illustrations - pictures, graphs, printing and publishing-- working with publishers - editing, on the nature of proofs, writing an index. Part 3 Speaking: sit and prepare - planning a talk, a plan in action, making notes, practice makes...better-- stand and deliver - conquering nerves, speaking out, gesture and posture, deliveries, bad habits, coping with questions, encore!-- visual aids - show and tell, slides, overhead projectors, flip charts, blackboards, films, video, demonstrations. Part 4 Meeting "the media": interviews for the press - preparing for an interview, the main event, information services, aftermath-- television - taking to the air, accepting invitations, the studio, the interview-- radio - finding stories, speaking for listeners, you and your audience.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- '...an excellent job...this book, which many will study out of duty, can also be read for pleasure.' The Times Higher Education Supplement Offers practical guidelines on: *writing for magazines and newspapers *organizing, planning and rehearsing a talk *working effectively with professionals in the print and broadcast media *preparing for interviews.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Communication in science.
- Publication date
- 0470216964 (USA)
- 0582057094 (England)
- 9780470216965 (USA)
- 9780582057098 (England)