The Huth library. A catalogue of the printed books, manuscripts, autograph letters, and engravings, collected by Henry Huth, with collations and bibliographical descriptions ...
- London, Ellis and White, 1880.
- Physical description
- 5 v. front. (port.) 29 cm.
At the library
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
Library has: (v.1-
|Z997 .H97||In-library use|
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 > Bibliography.
- Bible > Bibliography.
- Early printed books > Bibliography.
- Incunabula > Bibliography > Catalogs.
- Manuscripts > Great Britain > Catalogs.
- Prints > England > London > Bibliography > Catalogs.
- Autographs > Great Britain > Collections.
- English literature > Bibliography > Catalogs.
- Voyages and travels > Bibliography > Catalogs.
- Publication date
- Paged continuously.
- Large paper edition.
- "130 copies only printed for sale."
- In 1871, Mr. Huth engaged W. C. Hazlitt and F. S. Ellis to catalog his collection, the former cataloging English works, and the latter foreign. The catalog was completed and sent to press in 1876. Every sheet as printed was revised by Mr. Huth. By Dec. 1878, when he died, he had printed was revised by Mr. Huth. By Dec. 1878, when he died, he had revised only up to sheet 5U, about half the work. After Mr. Huth's death, Mr. Ellis, who had edited the work from the time it was sent to press, carried it on alone. cf. Pref. (signed: Alfred H. Huth)
- "The ... varied collection was especially rich in voyages, Shakespearean and early English literature and in early Spanish and German works. The Bibles ... included nearly every edition especially prized by collectors, and the manuscripts and prints were among the most beautiful of their kind."--Dict. nat. biog.
Browse related items
Start at call number: