N/um tchai [videorecording] : the ceremonial dance of the !Kung Bushmen : a film
- from the Bushman Film Studios of John Marshall.
- [United States : s.n., 199-?]
- Physical description
- 1 videocassette (20 min.) : sd., b&w ; 1/2 in.
- Documents a formalized Bushman curing ceremony in the Kalahari Desert area of South West Africa by showing an all-night n/um tchai (medicine dance) in which a number of men go into trance and exercise special curing powers. Divided into two parts: the first reviews and explains typical dance scenes; the second shows the ceremony without narration.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Num tchai
- Ceremonial dance of the !Kung Bushmen
- N umtchai
- Videocassette release of the 1966 motion picture.
- Production Credits
- Narration and photography, John Marshall ; sound recording, Nicholas England ; editor, Frank Galvin.
- Photographed on a 1957 expedition sponsored by the Peabody Museum of Harvard University and the Smithsonian Institution.
- VHS format.
Browse related items
Start at call number: