The Cambridge economic history of Europe from the decline of the Roman empire
- edited by J. H. Clapham and Eileen Power.
- Cambridge [Cambridgeshire] : The University Press, 1941-c1989.
- Physical description
- 8 v. : plates, fold. maps, plans ; 24 cm.
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
See related record(s) to request item
Individual vols. of this title also cataloged separately.
Library has: v.1-
- Includes bibliographies and index.
- List of tables-- List of illustrations-- Part I. The United States: 1. Capital formation in the United States during the nineteenth century Lance E. Davis and Robert E. Gallman-- 2. The United States: evolution of enterprise Alfred D. Chandler, Jr-- Part II. Japan: 3. Capital formation in Japan Kazushi Ohkawa-- 4. Factory labour and the industrial revolution in Japan Koji Taira-- 5. Entrepreneurship, ownership, and management in Japan Kozo Yamamura-- Part III. Russia: 6. Capital formation during the period of early industrialization in Russia, 1890-1913 Arcadius Kahan-- 7. Labour and industrialization in Russia Olga Crisp-- 8. Russian entrepreneurship M. C. Kaser-- Notes-- Bibliographies-- Editors' note-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521215916 20160528
- Preface-- 1. The settlement and colonization of Europe Richard Koebner-- 2. Agriculture and rural life in the later Roman Empire Courtenay Edward Stevens-- 3. The evolution of agricultural technique Charles Parain-- 4. Agrarian institutions of the Germanic Kingdoms from the fifth to the ninth century Alfons Dopsch-- 5. Agrarian conditions in the Byzantine Empire in the Middle Ages Georg Ostrogorsky-- 6. The rise of dependent cultivation and seignorial institutions Marc Bloch-- 7. Medieval Agrarian society in its prime-- 8. Crisis: from the Middle Ages to modern times Leopold Genicot.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521045056 20160607
- List of maps-- Preface-- 1. Trade and industry in Barbarian Europe till Roman times David L. Clarke-- 2. Trade and industry under the later Roman Empire in the West Frank William Walbank-- 3. Byzantine trade and industry M. M. Postan-- 4. The trade of medieval Europe: the south Robert S. Lopez-- 5. Asia, Africa and the trade of medieval Europe David Abulafia-- 6. Trade and industry in Eastern Europe before 1200 Aleksander Gieysztor-- 7. The trade of Eastern Europe in the Later Middle Ages Marian Malowist-- 8. The woollen industry Elanora Carus-Wilson-- 9. Mining and metallurgy in medieval civilisation John U. Nef-- 10. Building in stone in medieval western Europe Gwilym Peredur Jones-- 11. Coinage and currency Peter Spufford-- Bibliographies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521087094 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- The eighth and final volume of The Cambridge Economic History of Europe is the third of a group of three that cover the economic history of the western world during and since the Industrial Revolution. The main theme of this volume is the role played in the growth of industrial economies by the development of economic and social policies. The volume also discusses these factors in detail for the principal economies, and includes detailed studies of France, Britain, Germany, the United States, Austria-Hungary, the countries of Eastern Europe, Russia, Sweden, and Japan.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521225045 20160528
- The seventh volume of The Cambridge Economic History of Europe is the second of a group of three to cover the economic history of the Western world (including the United States and Japan) during and since the Industrial Revolution. The main theme of this volume is the role played in the growth of the industrial economies by capital, labour, and enterprise. Separate chapters study each of these factors for the principal economies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521215916 20160528
- This is a completely reset edition. The material in Chapters I, IV, V and VI and in sections 4, 5 and 8 of Chapter VII has been reproduced without any change. Chapters II, III and sections 1, 3 of Chapter VII have been brought up to date. All the other chapters and sections of Chapter VII have either been re-written or replaced by wholly new versions by different authors.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521045056 20160607
- The second volume of The Cambridge Economic History of Europe, first published in 1952, was a survey by an international group of specialist scholars covering trade and industry in pre-Roman, Roman and Byzantine Europe, the medieval trade of northern and southern Europe, and the histories of medieval woollen manufacture, mining and metallurgy, and building in stone. This second edition, in addition to revising most chapters and the bibliographies appended to them, also fills gaps which arose from the wartime and post-war circumstances in which the first edition was written. New chapters provide accounts of the trade and industry of eastern Europe, of medieval Europe's trade with Asia and Africa, and of medieval coinage and currency. Taken with volumes I and III of the series, this volume is designed to complete a comprehensive review of the economic history of medieval Europe as a whole. It was planned by the late Sir Michael Postan, and was largely completed under his editorship.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521087094 20160615
- This volume examines the economic history of Europe, looking at the economic organisation and policies during the Middle Ages.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521045063 20160619
- This volume examines the history of industrial economies such as capital, labour and enterprise within Europe.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521215909 20160619
- This volume of The Cambridge Economic History of Europe looks at economic organization during the early modern period.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521087100 20160619
- Beginning date
- Ending date
- Vols. 2-8 have title: The Cambridge economic history of Europe.
- Vols. 2-4, 6, general editors: M. Postan and H. J. Habakkuk.
- Vol. 5, 7 general editors: M. Postan, D. C. Coleman and Peter Mathias.
- Related Work
- Cambridge economic history of Europe.
- 0521087104 (v.5)
- 9780521087100 (v.5)
- 0521215919 (v. VII, pt. 2)
- 9780521215916 (v. VII, pt. 2)
- 052104507X (v. IV)
- 9780521045070 (v. IV)
- 0521225043 (v. VIII)
- 9780521225045 (v. VIII)
- 0521045061 (v. III)
- 9780521045063 (v. III)
- 0521215900 (v. VII, pt. 1)
- 9780521215909 (v. VII, pt. 1)
- 0521045088 (v. VI)
- 9780521045087 (v. VI)
- 0521045053 (v. 12nd ed)
- 9780521045056 (v. 12nd ed)
- 0521087090 (v. 22nd ed)
- 9780521087094 (v. 22nd ed)
- 0521211247 (v. 7 set)
- 9780521211246 (v. 7 set)
Browse related items
Start at call number: