The Cambridge economic history of Europe from the decline of the Roman empire
- edited by J. H. Clapham and Eileen Power.
- Cambridge [Cambridgeshire] : The University Press, 1941-c1989.
- Physical description
- 8 v. : plates, fold. maps, plans ; 24 cm.
SAL3 (off-campus storage)
See related record(s) to request item
Individual vols. of this title also cataloged separately.
Library has: v.1-
- Includes bibliographies and index.
- List of maps-- Preface-- 1. Trade and industry in Barbarian Europe till Roman times David L. Clarke-- 2. Trade and industry under the later Roman Empire in the West Frank William Walbank-- 3. Byzantine trade and industry M. M. Postan-- 4. The trade of medieval Europe: the south Robert S. Lopez-- 5. Asia, Africa and the trade of medieval Europe David Abulafia-- 6. Trade and industry in Eastern Europe before 1200 Aleksander Gieysztor-- 7. The trade of Eastern Europe in the Later Middle Ages Marian Malowist-- 8. The woollen industry Elanora Carus-Wilson-- 9. Mining and metallurgy in medieval civilisation John U. Nef-- 10. Building in stone in medieval western Europe Gwilym Peredur Jones-- 11. Coinage and currency Peter Spufford-- Bibliographies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The second volume of The Cambridge Economic History of Europe, first published in 1952, was a survey by an international group of specialist scholars covering trade and industry in pre-Roman, Roman and Byzantine Europe, the medieval trade of northern and southern Europe, and the histories of medieval woollen manufacture, mining and metallurgy, and building in stone. This second edition, in addition to revising most chapters and the bibliographies appended to them, also fills gaps which arose from the wartime and post-war circumstances in which the first edition was written. New chapters provide accounts of the trade and industry of eastern Europe, of medieval Europe's trade with Asia and Africa, and of medieval coinage and currency. Taken with volumes I and III of the series, this volume is designed to complete a comprehensive review of the economic history of medieval Europe as a whole. It was planned by the late Sir Michael Postan, and was largely completed under his editorship.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Beginning date
- Ending date
- Vols. 2-8 have title: The Cambridge economic history of Europe.
- Vols. 2-4, 6, general editors: M. Postan and H. J. Habakkuk.
- Vol. 5, 7 general editors: M. Postan, D. C. Coleman and Peter Mathias.
- Related Work
- Cambridge economic history of Europe.
- 0521087104 (v.5)
- 9780521087100 (v.5)
- 0521215919 (v. VII, pt. 2)
- 9780521215916 (v. VII, pt. 2)
- 052104507X (v. IV)
- 9780521045070 (v. IV)
- 0521225043 (v. VIII)
- 9780521225045 (v. VIII)
- 0521045061 (v. III)
- 9780521045063 (v. III)
- 0521215900 (v. VII, pt. 1)
- 9780521215909 (v. VII, pt. 1)
- 0521045088 (v. VI)
- 9780521045087 (v. VI)
- 0521045053 (v. 12nd ed)
- 9780521045056 (v. 12nd ed)
- 0521087090 (v. 22nd ed)
- 9780521087094 (v. 22nd ed)
- 0521211247 (v. 7 set)
- 9780521211246 (v. 7 set)
Browse related items
Start at call number: