Didn't nobody give a shit what happened to Carlotta
- James Hannaham
- First edition
- New York : Little, Brown and Company, 2022
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 311 pages ; 25 cm
- Hannaham, James, author.
- After more than twenty years in prison, a trans woman newly released on parole spends a whirlwind Fourth of July weekend in Brooklyn trying to reconcile with the son she left behind and to reunite with a family reluctant to accept her true identity. Carlotta Mercedes has been misunderstood her entire life. When she was pulled into a robbery gone wrong, she still went by the name she'd grown up with in Fort Greene, Brooklyn - before it gentrified. But not long after her conviction, she took the name Carlotta and began to live as a woman, an embrace of selfhood that prison authorities rejected, keeping Carlotta trapped in an all-male cell block, abused by both inmates and guards, and often placed in solitary. But in her fifth appearance before the parole board, Carlotta is at last granted conditional freedom and given a bus ticket back to a New York City that has changed as much in the intervening decades as she herself has changed to those who knew her before she was sent away. Can she reconcile with the son she left behind and reunite with a family reluctant to accept her as Carlotta, all while complying with near-impossible parole restrictions and doing everything in her power to stay out of jail? Written with the same mischievous verve and astonishing freshness in Delicious Foods, which dazzled critics and listeners alike, Didn't Nobody Give a Shit What Happened to Carlotta sweeps the listener through seemingly every street of Brooklyn in a whirlwind Fourth of July weekend. The novel sings with brio and ambition, offering a fantastically entertaining story and a cast of unforgettable characters even as it challenges us to confront the glaring injustices of a prison system that continues to punish people even after they've been freed
- Transgender prisoners > Fiction.
- Transgender people > Family relationships > Fiction.
- Transgender women > Family relationships > Fiction.
- Gender identity > Fiction.
- Ex-convicts > Fiction.
- Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.) > Fiction.
- Gender identity.
- Transgender prisoners.
- New York (State) > New York > Brooklyn.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title variation
- Did nobody not give a shit what happened to Carlotta
- Did not nobody give a shit what happened to Carlotta
- 9780316285278 (hardcover)
- 0316285277 (hardcover)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: