Giftedness and talent in the 21st century : adapting to the turbulence of globalization
- edited by Don Ambrose and Robert J. Sternberg ; foreword by Joseph S. Renzulli.
- text file
- Rotterdam, The Netherlands : Sense Publishers, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (ix, 308 pages) : illustrations
- Advances in creativity and giftedness ; v. 10.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS; FOREWORD: Stream of Consciousness on Creativity, Globalization, Technology, and What Is Happening in a Rapidly Changing World;
- SECTION I: RECOGNIZING POWERFUL CONTEXTUAL INFLUENCES ON GIFTEDNESS AND TALENT DEVELOPMENT; 1. PREVIEWING A COLLABORATIVE EXPLORATION OF GIFTED EDUCATION AND TALENT DEVELOPMENT IN THE 21ST CENTURY; Questions Based on Interdisciplinary Analyses of 21st-Century Globalization; Questions Derived from the Work of Our Contributing Authors; AN OVERVIEW OF THE CONTENTS OF THE VOLUME; CONCLUDING THOUGHTS; NOTES; REFERENCES.
- 2. TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY CONTEXTUAL INFLUENCES ON THE LIFE TRAJECTORIES OF THE GIFTED AND TALENTEDCATCH A WAVE: A METAPHORICAL LANDSCAPE FOR THE DEVELOPMENTAL TRAJECTORIES OF CIVILIZATIONS, EDUCATION SYSTEMS, AND CREATIVELY INTELLIGENT INDIVIDUALS; Societal Context: Will Our Civilization Thrive or Collapse?; Examples of Macro-Opportunities; Example of a Macroproblem/Macro-Opportunity Hybrid; Examples of Macroproblems; EDUCATION SYSTEMS: A BIG-PICTURE ANALYSIS THROUGH THE LENS OF THE CATCH A WAVE MODEL; TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND DISPOSITIONS.
- Broad and Deep Proficiency in the Subject AreasCreative Thinking Skills and Inquiry-Based Dispositions; Critical Thinking Skills and Dispositions; Interdisciplinary Thinking; Visual-Spatial Literacy; Information-Technology Skills; Financial, Business, Economic, and Entrepreneurial Acumen; Intrapersonal Self-Discovery and a Sense of Purpose; Cognitive Diversity; Interpersonal Ability, Collaborative Skill, and Leadership; Ethical Insight, Global and Multicultural Awareness, and Personal and Social Responsibility; CONCLUDING THOUGHTS; REFERENCES.
- SECTION II: CONCEPTIONS OF GIFTED EDUCATION IN A COMPLEX, CHANGING WORL
- D3. ENVISIONING A NEW CENTURY OF GIFTED EDUCATION: The Case for a Paradigm Shift; NEW INSIGHTS FROM RESEARCH ON CREATIVITY AND CREATIVITY EDUCATION; THE LEGACY AND LIABILITY OF THE GIFTED CHILD PARADIGM; The Essentialist Conception of Giftedness is Not Scientifically Convincing; The Categorical Approach Is Exclusive and Socially Inequitable; Generic Provisions Based on the "Unique Needs" of the Gifted Are Not Educationally Productive; WHY THE TALENT DEVELOPMENT PARADIGM IS A BETTER ALTERNATIVE.
- Developmental Conceptions of Giftedness and Talent Are Scientifically More CompellingTalent Development Approaches Are More Inclusive and Are Socially More Equitable; Talent Development Approaches Are Educationally More Productive in Terms of Promoting Optimal Individual Development; CONCLUSION; ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS; REFERENCES;
- 4. HUMAN NATURE: The Unpredictable Variable in Engineering the Future; WHAT IS HUMAN NATURE?; HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL; THE FUTURE: WHERE NO ONE HAS TRAVELED BEFORE; INTELLECTUALLY GIFTED HEROES TO THE RESCUE; REFERENCES.
- When todayâ#x80; #x99; s gifted and talented young people emerge into adulthood will they be able to overcome some enormous 21st-century problems that are pushing us toward large-scale socioeconomic devastation? Will they be able to capitalize on unprecedented opportunities that can lead to widespread prosperity and fulfillment? This book explores these questions while yielding insights from many of the worldâ#x80; #x99; s leading scholars of giftedness and talent development. Until now there has been inadequate understanding of 21st-century trends and issues that influence the gifted and talented. The book provi.
- Publication date
- Advances in creativity and giftedness ; volume 10
- 9789463005036 (electronic bk.)
- 946300503X (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: