Adolescent realities : engaging students in SEL through young adult literature
- Judith A Hayn and Holly Sheppard Riesco
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 167 pages ; 26 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Chapter 1: Introduction and Guide to Using the Book Chapter 2: Achieving Self-Discovery Middle School Book: Harbor Me by Jacqueline Woodson High School Book: The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo Chapter 3: Coping with Anxiety Middle School Book: The Unlikely Hero of Room 13b by Teresa Toten High School Book: Fig by Sarah Elizabeth Schantz Chapter 4: Gaining Social Awareness Middle School Book: The First Rule of Punk by Celia C. Perez High School Book: Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu Chapter 5: Building Relationships Middle School Book: The Track Series by Jason Reynolds High School Book: Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley Chapter 6: Overcoming Challenges Middle School Book: Illegal by Eoin Colfer & Andrew Donkin
- Illustrated by Giovanni Rigano High School Book: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Chapter 7: Appreciating Diversity Middle School Book: Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed High School Book: Love, Hate, and Other Filters by Samira Ahmed Chapter 8: Respecting Others Middle School Book: The Cat at the Wall by Deborah Ellis High School Book: Heretics Anonymous by Katie Henry Chapter 9: Overcoming Expectations Middle School Book: Betty Before X by Ilyasah Shabazz and Renee Watson High School Book: Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds Chapter 10: Becoming Self-Aware Middle School Book: Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams High School Book: I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez Appendix About the Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Adolescent Realities: Engaging Students in SEL through Young Adult Literature offers a connection between young adult literatures and social and emotional learning. Students have many SEL needs, and this book focuses on exploring SEL through the experiences of characters in contemporary books published in the last few years. Each chapter offers a specific focus in SEL, a middle school and high school book for teens to read, and a guided plan that can be adapted to fit the needs of educators, counselors, and parents. A great tool for guiding teen book clubs or workshops, Adolescent Realities has the potential to make teens aware of how to apply SEL in their own lives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Affective education.
- Social learning.
- Young adult literature > Study and teaching (Middle school) > Activity programs.
- Young adult literature > Study and teaching (Secondary) > Activity programs.
- Young adult literature > Study and teaching (Middle school) > Social aspects > United States.
- Young adult literature > Study and teaching (Secondary) > Social aspects > United States.
- Publication date
- 9781475856538 hardcover
- 1475856539 hardcover
- 9781475856545 paperback
- 1475856547 paperback
- 9781475856552 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: