Gaming SEL : games as transformational to social and emotional learning
- Matthew Farber
- New York : Peter Lang, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 204 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Farber, Matthew, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Foreword: Anantha Kumar Duraiappah, Founding Director, UNESCO MGIEP - List of Figures - Acknowledgments - Introduction - About This Book - Links, Lessons, and Games - References - How Mister Rogers Taught Us to Feel - An Exploration of Social and Emotional Learning - How Games Give Players "The Feels" - Empathy Games - Mindful, Kind, and Compassionate - Ethics, Perspective- Taking, and Teen Identity - Co-op Play, Teamwork, and Relationship Skills - How Making Games Supports Self-Awareness - Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Games enable children to practice emotions in spaces that are free from actualized consequences. With thoughtful guidance, games can help children manage emotions, perspective-take, demonstrate empathic concern, and exhibit prosocial behaviors. Emerging research suggests that these competencies-also known as social and emotional learning (SEL) skills-are, in fact, teachable. In Gaming SEL: Games as Transformational to Social and Emotional Learning, Matthew Farber investigates the rich opportunities games have in supporting SEL skill development. Experts from the fields of education, game development, and SEL-including folks from CASEL, the Fred Rogers Center, Greater Good in Education, iThrive Games, Minecraft Education, and UNESCO MGIEP-share advice. Games themselves cannot be responsible for children's learning. Having a supportive educator or caregiver guiding experiences can be crucial. This book also includes recommendations for embedding games in classrooms in ways that support meaningful SEL skill development. Regardless of your experience, content area, or grade level, this book is for you!.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781433186424 hardcover
- 143318642X hardcover
- 9781433185953 paperback
- 1433185954 paperback
- 9781433185960 electronic book
- 9781433185977 electronic publication
- 9781433185984 Mobipocket electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: