World without fish
- Mark Kurlansky ; [illustrations by Frank Stockton]
- New York : Workman Pub., ©2011
- Physical description
- xxiii, 183 pages : color illustrations ; 24 cm
- Being a brief outline of the problem
- Being a short exposition about what could happen and how it would happen
- Being the true story of how humans first began to fish and how fishing became an industry
- Being the sad, cautionary tale of the orange roughy
- Being the myth of nature's bounty and how scientists got it wrong for many years
- Being a concise history of the politics of fish
- Being an examination of why we can't simply stop fishing
- Being a detailed look at four possible solutions and why they alone won't work
- The best solution to overfishing sustainable fishing
- How pollution is killing fish, too
- How global warming is also killing fish
- Time to wake up and smell the fish
- Publisher's summary
Almost fifty years ago, Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" awakened the consciousness of an entire generation by bringing to light the harmful effects of DDT and other toxic chemicals; she forever changed the way people view the natural world. In "The World Without Fish", bestselling author Mark Kurlansky issues a similar call to action to kids ages 10 and up - the next generation to inherit the earth - by outlining what will happen within the next fifty years if the ill effects of over-fishing, pollution, and climate change aren't addressed soon. In clear language that kids will understand, Kurlansky gives a step-by-step account of what would happen if fish became extinct - and then outlines a plan for remedying the situation. As an extra bonus, the book includes a fifteen-page graphic novel (each page is a chapter opener) that tells the fictional story of the daughter of a marine biologist who witnesses the slow extinction of the world's fish in her lifetime.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Overfishing > Juvenile literature.
- Fishes > Effect of human beings on > Juvenile literature.
- Bottom fishing > Environmental aspects > Juvenile literature.
- Sustainable fisheries > Juvenile literature.
- Water > Pollution > Juvenile literature.
- Global warming > Juvenile literature.
- Water > Pollution.
- Global warming.
- Bottom fishing.
- Sustainable fisheries.
- Water pollution.
- Fishes > Effect of human beings on.
- Juvenile works.
- Children's nonfiction.
- Publication date
- Includes index
- 9 and up
- Accelerated Reader AR MG 7.9 5.0 168689
- Commended for Books for a Better Life (Green) 2011 9780761156079 20210705 (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Commended for Gourmand World Cookbook Awards (USA Only) (Single Subject) 2011 9780761156079 20210705 (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Commended for IndieFab awards (Young Adult Nonfiction) 2011 9780761156079 20210705 (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- 9780761156079 (hardcover)
- 0761156070 (hardcover)
- 9780761185000 (paperback)
- 0761185003 (paperback)
- 9781484442135 (library binding)
- 148444213X (library binding)
Browse related items
Start at call number: