Community colleges and workforce preparation in the 21st century : emerging research and opportunities
- Dimitra Smith, Rhonda Lewis, and Leslie Singleton, editors
- Hershey, Pennsylvania (701 E. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, Pennsylvania, 17033, USA) : IGI Global, 2021
- Physical description
- 15 PDFs (190 pages)
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Chapter 1. Teaching in the American community college: professional development matters
- Chapter 2. Expanding the role of community colleges with workforce baccalaureate programs
- Chapter 3. Convergence of adult learners, STEM programs, and promise programs in community colleges
- Chapter 4. Community colleges and workforce development: then and now
- Chapter 5. The evolving role of community colleges in workforce development
- Chapter 6. Community colleges and workforce preparation in the 21st century: modern trend of community colleges' role in workforce development and education
- Chapter 7. Community colleges' role in workforce development and education: past, present, and future of workforce education programs
- Publisher's summary
Community colleges are essential in preparing the 21st century workforce. Research has indicated that there is a shortage of individuals prepared for skilled workforce opportunities, such as plumbers, electricians, and many others. In fact, while college is essential in workforce development, it is not the only route that can lead to a successful livelihood. Developing a skill that transfers into an essential trade is a route less taken. Community colleges are ideally situated to respond to the shortage of a prepared workforce by providing an array of programs that reach a wide range of individuals with talents that may not include a college degree. Community Colleges and Workforce Preparation in the 21st Century: Emerging Research and Opportunities is a comprehensive reference source that covers the essential role of community colleges in developing a skilled workforce via varying educational opportunities that include degree completion, workforce development, and skill enhancement. Readers will benefit from the book's ability to advocate for the need for individuals with skillful trade options, provide different areas to consider as trade options, discuss the role of community colleges in preparing a workforce, examine the challenges that can arise for individuals with a trade, and present a global outlook on the workforce of the 21st century. Covering topics that include career pathways and STEM programs, the book is especially valuable for academic institutions that are looking to provide options for talent expansion. Leadership and education scholars, leadership practitioners within community college and university settings, leaders within workforce development sectors, researchers, and students will also find this reference useful for developing a skilled and competent workforce.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Community colleges > United States > Planning.
- Career education > United States.
- Occupational training > United States.
- Community college students > Vocational guidance > United States.
- Community college graduates > Employment > United States.
- Education, Higher > Aims and objectives > United States.
- Career education.
- Community college students > Vocational guidance.
- Community colleges > Planning.
- Education, Higher > Aims and objectives.
- Occupational training.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers
- Also available in print
- Mode of access: World Wide Web
- 9781799841241 ebook
- 9781799841234 hardcover
- 9781799854838 paperback
Browse related items
Start at call number: