Historical dictionary of Eritrea
- Dan Connell
- Third edition
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Historical dictionaries of Africa.
- Includes bibliographical references
- Editor's Foreword (Jon Woronoff) Acknowledgments Reader's Note Acronyms and Abbreviations Maps Chronology Introduction THE DICTIONARY
- Appendix 1: An open letter to all members of the PFDJ [27 May 2001]
- Appendix 2: The Algiers Agreement between Eritrea and Ethiopia [12 December 2000]
- Appendix 3: Joint declaration of peace and friendship between Eritrea and Ethiopia [9 July 2018]
- Appendix 4: The Jeddah Agreement between Eritrea and Ethiopia [16 September 2018] Bibliography About the Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
In 1991, Eritrea won a 30-year war for independence from Ethiopia, and in 1993, it was recognized as Africa's newest nation after more than a century of conquest and occupation by a succession of external powers that included the Ottomans, Egypt, Italy, Great Britain and Ethiopia. Each had left its mark, while fostering a deep distrust of outsiders and a fierce commitment to Eritrea's separate political identity. Eritrea and Ethiopia slipped into a chronic state of no-peace-no-war that kept the entire Horn of Africa off-balance for nearly two decades, the standoff ended in 2018 when a newly installed Ethiopian prime minister reached out to Eritrea and set in motion a rapid-fire series of talks among the states of the African Horn that broke down long-standing barriers and raised hopes for a new era of regional peace and cooperation. This third edition of Historical Dictionary of Eritrea contains a chronology, an introduction, appendixes, and an extensive bibliography. The dictionary section has over 600 cross-referenced entries on important personalities, politics, economy, foreign relations, religion, and culture. This book is an excellent resource for students, researchers, and anyone wanting to know more about Eritrea. .
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Historical dictionaries of Africa
- Electronic reproduction. Ann Arbor, MI Available via World Wide Web
- 9781538120668 (Electronic)
- 9781538120651 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: