The Wiley handbook of gender equity in higher education
- edited by Nancy S. Niemi and Marcus B. Weaver-Hightower.
- Hoboken, NJ : Wiley Blackwell, 2021.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Niemi, Nancy S.
- Weaver-Hightower, Marcus B.
- List of Figures and Tables x List of Contributors xii Introduction 1 Marcus B. Weaver ]Hightower and Nancy S. Niemi Part I The Higher Education Corporation and Its Gender Implications 5
- 1 Unpacking the "Female Advantage" in the Career and Economic Impacts of College 7 Tiffani M. Williams and Gregory C. Wolniak
- 2 Women's Leadership in Higher Education: Addressing Glass Ceilings and Sticky Floors 29 Jolyn E. Dahlvig and Karen A. Longman
- 3 Gender, Digital Literacies, and Higher Education: Examinations of Equity 53 Corrine M. Wickens and Tracy Miller
- 4 Gender, Neoliberalism, and Corporatized Higher Education 69 Penny Jane Burke
- 5 Governing Boards and Their Relationship to Gender Issues in Higher Education 91 Paul G. Rubin, Erin B. Ciarimboli, and Lindsay B. Coco
- 6 Gender Inequality and the New Faculty Majority 105 Adrianna Kezar and Arely L. Acuna Part II Student Learning and Life in Global Contexts 125
- 7 Gender and Substance Use in Higher Education 127 Scott Radimer and Adam M. McCready
- 8 A Rating Spectrum for Sexual Assault Education and Prevention at 10 Ivy ]Plus Institutions 145 Ally Garcia, Julie Wienski, Nicole Cote, and Christopher Silva
- 9 This Is Not Your Parents' Greek Life: Trends in the Ongoing Evolution of Fraternities and Sororities 171 Alan D. DeSantis
- 10 Trans Students 197 Genny Beemyn
- 11 International First ]Generation Students: Current Issues and Trends in the Research 215 Michael J. Siegel
- 12 Women and the American Community College 231 Racheal L. Stimpson
- 13 "Non ]Traditional" Learners and Twenty ]First ]Century Higher Education: The Ongoing Project of Inclusion 251 Susan B. Marine
- 14 Gender Inequities in Collegiate Sport: History, Theory, Policy, and Practice 265 Emily A. Johnson and Ajhanai Chanel Inez Newton Part III Curriculum, Services, Educators, and the Chalkface 289
- 15 Global Participation in Undergraduate Computing: A Review and Agenda for Research 291 Kathleen J. Lehman, Kaitlin N. S. Newhouse, and Linda J. Sax
- 16 Institutions of Higher Education as Gendered Workplaces 315 Nancy S. Niemi
- 17 Town Halls, Campaigns, and Safe Spaces: How Campus Responses to Violence Further Marginalize Vulnerable Populations 333 Emily A. Johnson, Saralyn McKinnon ]Crowley, Aaron Voyles, and Alma J. Salcedo
- 18 Gender Centers in Higher Education: Spaces for Cultivating Critical Hope 359 Matthew Jeffries and Ashley S. Boyd
- 19 Gendered Divisions of Labor in the Twenty ]First ]Century Academy: Research, Teaching, and Service 375 Shelley M. Park and Dakota Park ]Ozee
- 20 Work-Life Integration for University Faculty: Overcoming Immunities to Change 397 Maike Ingrid Philipsen
- 21 Single ]Sex and Coeducational Higher Education in International Contexts 411 Kristen A. Renn
- 22 How High the Ceiling: Gender and Leadership in International Higher Education 429 Sora H. Friedman
- 23 Study Abroad Programs and Their Intersection with Gender 451 Noreen Siddiqui and Jody Jessup ]Anger Part IV Theoretical Paradigms, Methodologies, and Their Impact on the Study of Gender and Global Higher Education 469
- 24 Critical Theories and Methods in Gender and Higher Education 471 Marcus B. Weaver ]Hightower
- 25 The Epistemological Significance of Transgender Studies in the Academy 493 Wayne Martino, Diana Kuhl, and Kenan Omercajic
- 26 Researching Gender and Higher Education 515 Laura Parson
- 27 Transfeminist Methodology: Examining Cissexism in Higher Education and Student Affairs Research 531 T.J. Jourian Index 551.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Research into gender equity in higher education, inspiring action With this enlightening handbook, you can review the thinking of leading researchers on the current intersection of gender and higher education. The Wiley Handbook of Gender Equity in Higher Education provides an in-depth look at education's complicated relationships with, and in some cases inadequate fostering of, gender equity. The collection offers a bold picture of research into the subject. It also projects future paths of exploration, inquiry, and action for gender equity. Focuses specifically on gender and higher education across the globe, setting the stage for new explorations Examines gender equity in relation to the STEM fields Considers current male participation in higher education Covers gender segregation by major and the issue of women remaining in lower-paying areas The Wiley Handbook of Gender Equity in Higher Education spotlights the continuing and integral role of educational institutions in the struggle for gender equity. Policy makers, university administrators, and researchers can look to this handbook for perspective on recent research as they move forward in the pursuit of more equitable educational environments.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Education, Higher > Social aspects > United States > Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Sexism in higher education > United States > Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Enseignement supérieur > Aspect social > États-Unis > Guides, manuels, etc.
- Sexisme dans l'enseignement supérieur > États-Unis > Guides, manuels, etc.
- Education, Higher > Social aspects.
- Sexism in higher education.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Includes index.
- 9781119257639 (electronic book oBook)
- 1119257638 (electronic book oBook)
- 111925759X (electronic book)
- 9781119257592 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: