Queer in translation : sexual politics under neoliberal Islam
- Evren Savci.
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2021.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xv, 232 pages)
- Perverse modernities.
- Savcı, Evren author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acronyms Acknowledgments Introduction
- 1. Subjects of Rights and Subjects of Cruelty
- 2. Who Killed Ahmet Yildiz?
- 3. Trans Terror, Deep Citizenship, and the Politics of Hate
- 4. Critique and Commons under Neoliberalism Conclusion: Queer Studies and the Question of Cultural Difference Appendix: On Method and Methodology Notes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
In Queer in Translation, Evren Savci analyzes the travel and translation of Western LGBT political terminology to Turkey in order to illuminate how sexual politics have unfolded under Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AKP government. Under the AKP's neoliberal Islamic regime, Savci shows, there has been a stark shift from a politics of multicultural inclusion to one of securitized authoritarianism. Drawing from ethnographic work with queer activist groups to understand how discourses of sexuality travel and are taken up in political discourse, Savci traces the intersection of queerness, Islam, and neoliberal governance within new and complex regimes of morality. Savci turns to translation as a queer methodology to think Islam and neoliberalism together and to evade the limiting binaries of traditional/modern, authentic/colonial, global/local, and East/West-thereby opening up ways of understanding the social movements and political discourse that coalesce around sexual liberation in ways that do justice to the complexities both of what circulates under the signifier Islam and of sexual political movements in Muslim-majority countries.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Sexual minorities > Political aspects > Turkey.
- Gender identity > Terminology > Political aspects > Turkey.
- Sexual minorities > Terminology > Political aspects > Turkey.
- Sexual minorities > Religious aspects > Islam.
- Sexism in language > Political aspects > Turkey.
- Neoliberalism > Turkey.
- Electronic books.
- Publication date
- Perverse modernities
- 9781478010319 (hardcover)
- 1478010312 (hardcover)
- 9781478011361 (paperback)
- 147801136X (paperback)
- 9781478090632 (ebook other)
- 1478090634 (ebook other)
Browse related items
Start at call number: