Great historians from antiquity to 1800 : an international dictionary
- Lucian Boia, editor-in-chief.
- New York : Greenwood Press, 1989.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 417 p. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Dictionary of great historians - African-- Armenian-- Austrian-- Baltic Region-- Belgian-- Bulgarian-- Byzantine-- Chinese-- Croatian-- Czech-- Danish/Icelandic-- Dutch-- English-- Finnish-- French-- German-- Greek-- Hungarian-- Islamic - Arab, Egyptian, Persian-- Islamic - Ottoman-- Italian-- Japanese-- Jewish-- Korean-- Polish-- Portuguese-- Roman-- Romanian-- Russian and Georgian-- Serbian and South Slavic-- Spanish-- Spanish American-- Southeast Asian-- Swedish-- Swiss.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313245176 20160528
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume is a biographical dictionary in the field of the history of historiography. The work includes brief articles on the life and work of 600 historians from all over the world, from the beginnings of historiography to 1800. The historians covered include both those of international renown and those whose focus and reputation are national. Boia's introductory essay traces the evolution of historiography from its beginnings in antiquity around 3000 BC through the end of the 18th century when history began to be professionalized. Entries are arranged alphabetically by country or geographic area. Each entry includes a brief bibliography for the convenience of readers wishing to consult additional sources. An index of historians and a general subject index complete the work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780313245176 20160528
- Publication date
- "Sponsored by the Commission on the History of Historiography of the International Committee on the Historical Sciences."
- 0313245177 (lib. bdg. : alk. paper)
- 9780313245176 (lib. bdg. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: