Freedom farmers : agricultural resistance and the black freedom movement
- Monica M. White.
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xviii, 189 pages) : illustrations
- Justice, power, and politics.
- White, Monica M. (Monica Marie), 1967- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Land, food, and freedom: black farmers, agriculture, and resistance
- Intellectual traditions in black agriculture: Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and W. E. B. Du Bois
- Collective agency and community resilience in action
- A pig and a garden: Fannie Lou Hamer's Freedom Farms Cooperative
- North Bolivar County Farmers Cooperative
- The Federation of Southern Cooperatives
- The Detroit Black Community Food Security Network
- Black farmers and black land matter.
- "Expands the historical narrative of the black freedom struggle to embrace the work, roles, and contributions of southern black farmers and the organizations they formed. Whereas existing scholarship generally views agriculture as a site of oppression and exploitation of black people, this book reveals agriculture as a site of resistance and provides a historical foundation that adds meaning and context to current conversations around the resurgence of food justice/sovereignty movements in urban spaces like Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, New York City, and New Orleans"-- Provided by publisher.
- Freedom Farms Corporation (Sunflower County, Miss.)
- North Bolivar County Farm Cooperative (Mound Bayou, Miss.)
- Federation of Southern Cooperatives.
- Detroit Black Community Food Security Network.
- African Americans > Agriculture > History.
- African Americans > Social conditions > History.
- African Americans > Political activity > History.
- Agriculture, Cooperative > United States > History.
- Food sovereignty > United States.
- Food supply > Political aspects > United States > History.
- Black lives matter movement.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Discrimination & Race Relations
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Minority Studies
- African Americans > Agriculture.
- African Americans > Social conditions.
- Agriculture, Cooperative.
- Food sovereignty.
- Food supply > Political aspects.
- United States.
- Publication date
- Justice, power, and politics
- 9781469643700 (electronic bk.)
- 1469643707 (electronic bk.)
- 9781469643717 electronic book
- 1469643715 electronic book
Browse related items
Start at call number: