Academic labor beyond the college classroom : working for our values
- edited by Holly Hassel and Kirsti Cole
- New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2020
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 216 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- Introduction: Effecting change through service activism : redefining faculty work in contemporary higher education / Holly Hassel and Kirsti Cole
- Cultivating teacher-scholars at a teaching-intensive university / J. Michael Rifenburg, Rebecca Johnston, Laura Ng, and Mary Carney
- Equity and excellence in teaching and learning : reflections on student feedback / Gwen Gorzelsky, Matthew S. Hickey, Zinta S. Byrne, Jennifer Todd, Tonya Buchan, Karen Falkenberg, Debora A. Colbert, and Paula Rodriguez
- Visible Allies and Muslim inclusion / Lamiyah Bahrainwala
- Continuous improvement to achieve faculty career equity / Sonia Goltz, Patty Sotirin, Adrienne Minerick, Audrey Mayer, and Andrew Storer
- Better living through policy : feminist shared governance and equitable evaluation / Jessica Van Slooten, Joanne Baird Giordano, and Holly Hassel
- United against sexual harassment : building alliances between unions and sexual misconduct victim advocates / Erin Hurt and Seth Kahn
- Making space for new communities : trans students at women's colleges / Eli Erlick
- Supporting undocumented students and workers on campus : lessons from a New Jersey experiment / Fanny Lauby and Emma Heaney
- SoTL and the gendered division of labor on our campuses : a case for more equity and change in professional values / Valerie Barske, Ekaterina Levintova, Valerie Murrenus Pilmaier, and Darci Thoune
- Transformative change on Miami University's regional campuses / Cathy Bishop-Clark, Moira E. Casey, Marianne Cotugno, and Whitney Womack Smith
- Building an "old girls" network in academic science, technology, engineering, and mathematics / Erin Winterrowd, Jennifer E. Mihalick, Travis Brace, Maame Esi Coleman, Ashley Lyons, and Alexa Jayne
- "Unions" new role, grassroots leadership in higher education : reflections on a Midwest public university in crisis / Nerissa Nelson
- "Academic Labor beyond the College Classroom initiates a scholarly and professional conversation, calling upon faculty to participate in, reimagine, and transform their institutional and professional work to look beyond just teaching and research. Chapters in this contributed volume offer case studies, strategies, and exemplars of how faculty can re-engage in institutional service, mentoring, governance, and administrative duties to advance equity efforts at all levels of the university, calling for what Dr. Nancy Chick names in the Foreword as a 'scholarship of influence. This book draws from a diverse range of methodologies and disciplines, issuing an invitation to faculty 'across the divide' of their specific college, school, or corner of the university into cross-conversations and partnerships for positive change"-- Provided by publisher
- Universities and colleges > United States > Faculty > Case studies.
- College teachers > United States > Social conditions.
- Teacher participation in administration > United States.
- Education, Higher > Social aspects > United States.
- Social change > United States.
- Diversity in the workplace > United States.
- Multicultural education > United States.
- Publication date
- 9780367278229 (hardback)
- 9780367313227 (paperback)
- 9780429316265 (ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: