Beyond Broadway : the pleasure and promise of musical theatre across America
- by Stacy Wolf.
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Wolf, Stacy Ellen, author.
- UPSO eCollections (University Press Scholarship Online) Stanford OSO Jun 2019-May 2020.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: The Junior Theatre Festival and Broadway Junior
- Chapter 2: Backstage Divas
- Chapter 3: High School Musicals and Into the Woods
- Chapter 4: Community Theatre
- Chapter 5: The Sound of Music at Outdoor Summer Musical Theatres
- Chapter 6: Girls' Jewish Summer Camps in Maine
- Chapter 7: Disney Goes to School
- Chapter 8: Dinner Theatres in Colorado: A Road Trip Epilogue Acknowledgments Selected Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
The idea of American musical theatre conjures up images of bright lights and big city, but its lifeblood is found in local and amateur productions at schools, community theatres, summer camps, and more. In Beyond Broadway, author Stacy Wolf considers the widespread presence and persistence of musical theatre in U.S. culture, and examines it as a live, pleasurable, participatory experience of creating, watching, and listening. Why does local musical theatre flourish in America? Why do so many Americans passionately engage in a century-old artistic practice that requires intense, person-to-person collaboration? Why do audiences flock to see musicals in their hometowns? How do corporations like Disney and Music Theatre International enable musical theatre's energetic movement through American culture? Touring from Maine to California, Wolf visits elementary schools, a middle school performance festival, afterschool programs, high schools, summer camps, state park outdoor theatres, community theatres, and dinner theatres, and conducts over 200 interviews with practitioners and spectators, licensors and Disney creatives. In Beyond Broadway, Wolf tells the story of musical theatre's abundance and longevity in the U.S. as a thriving, joyful activity that touches millions of lives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Electronic reproduction. Oxford Available via World Wide Web.
- 0190639563 electronic book
- 9780190639563 electronic book
- 9780190639549 electronic book
- 0190639547 electronic book
- 9780190639556 (electronic bk.)
- 0190639555 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: