Protesting gender : the LGBTIQ movement and its opponents in Italy
- Anna Lavizzari
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2020
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 187 pages ; 25 cm
- Mobilization series on social movements, protest, and culture.
- Lavizzari, Anna, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Strategy, Performance and Gender: An Interactionist Perspective
- 3. Protesting Gender: Configurations and Gender Arenas in Italy
- 4. Players, Tactics and Arenas
- 5. Gender Panic! Framing and Discursive Strategies
- 6. Individual Patterns of Mobilization and Gender Identities
- 7. Conclusions.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Drawing on fieldwork conducted in Italy among political activists of the LGBTIQ movement and the traditionalist movement during the "anti-gender" campaign, this book provides a dynamic picture of their sustained interactions. Through an analysis of the contentious strategies, discourses, and performances of both the LGBTIQ and the traditionalist movements from a strategic interactionist perspective, it considers the key actors involved in this struggle over normative and social change, showing how activists on both sides are confronted with different dilemmas, influencing each other's choices, practices and identities at the individual and collective levels. Approaching social movements as interactive processes, the author deploys the concepts of social performance and gender performativity to illustrate the ways in which activists interact with and within gender norms, and how they reproduce or contest gender hierarchies as they protest, thus revealing the centrality of gender to the analysis of processes of recruitment and mobilization, strategies, frames and forms of organization. As such, it will appeal to scholars of sociology and political science with interests in social movements and gender.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- The mobilization series on social movements, protest, and culture
- 9780367279134 (hbk)
- 0367279134 (hbk)
- 9780429298684 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: