A dictionary of stylistics
- Katie Wales.
- London ; New York : Longman, 1989.
- Physical description
- xii, 504 p. ; 24 cm.
- Studies in language and linguistics (London, England)
- Wales, Katie.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- Comprehensive and easy to use, this dictionary explains clearly and concisely over 600 alphabetically listed entries. Drawing material from a range of sources, including sociolinguistics, semiotics, poetics and traditional rhetoric, it provides a valuable reference work of the terminology which surrounds stylistics, discourse analysis, text linguistics, and literary theory and criticism. With numerous quotations, explanations for many basic terms from grammatical theory and an exhaustive bibliography this is a valuable reference work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780582031395 20160527
- Designed both as a dictionary and a guide-book, this volume contains over 600 alphabetically-listed terms relating to the study of stylistics. Using material drawn from a range of sources, including poetic and traditional rhetoric, sociolinguistics and semiotics, it includes quotations and explanations of grammatical theory. It should be useful to upper school students of English for whom it is a first language; undergraduate students of English literature and language, linguistics, communications studies and film and drama; and students of English as a foreign language.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780582291423 20160527
- Publication date
- Studies in language and linguistics
- 0582031397 (pbk.)
- 9780582031395 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: