The making of flawed democracies in the Americas : the United States, Chile, Argentina, and Peru
- Alex Roberto Hybel.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vii, 248 pages ; 22 cm
- Hybel, Alex Roberto, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction: State Creation and Democratization in Four American States: The Nature of the Problem
- 2. Theories of State Creation and Democratization
- 3. The Processes of State Creation and Democratization in the United States
- 4. The Processes of State Creation and Democratization in Chile, Peru, and Argentina
- 5. Exploratory Hypotheses: Chile, Peru, and Argentina
- 6. An Exploratory Theory of State Creation and Democratization in the United States, Chile, Peru, and Argentina.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book strives to answer two interrelated questions: Why have certain states in the Americas been more successful than others at creating stable democratic regimes? Why have certain states in the Americas failed to create stable democratic regimes? To answer both questions, the author focuses on four states - the United States, Argentina, Chile, and Peru. Throughout the analysis, he isolates and evaluates the conditions that helped or hindered the development of each state and of its political regime. He presents his conclusions in the form of time-related explanatory hypotheses. By identifying and examining the conditions that brought about the transformation of each states and of its political regimes, this study ultimately facilitates a discussion of the future of democracy in each of these countries as well as in the world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 3030211770 (hardcover)
- 9783030211776 (hardcover)
- 9783030211783 (PDF ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: