Mitochondria in health and in sickness
- Andrea Urbani, Mohan Babu, editors.
- Singapore : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations (some color).
- Advances in experimental medicine and biology ; v. 1158.
- The chapters will be divided into three sections:
- Mitochondria in human disease
- Omics and systems biology approa ches to address mitochondrial disorders
- Discovery pertaining to mitochondrial disorders and how the mitochondrial human proteome initiative has been working towards addressing these goals
- Chapters that have been confirmed to date:
- Roberto Scatena, Mitochondria metabolism in Cancer (Institute of Biochemistry and Clinical Biochemistry - Catholic University, Rome, Italy)
- Young-Ki Paik, Mitochondria Proteins in Hepatocarcinoma progression (Yonsei University, Seoul, Department of Biochemistry)
- Maurizio Ronci-- Cancer stem cells metabolic shunt and mitochondria proteomics (Department of Medical, Oral and Biotechnological Sciences, University G. d'Annunzio of Chieti-Pescara, Chieti, Italy)
- Mauro Fasano, Mitochondria proteins in the development of Parkinson Disease (Biomedical Research Division, Department of Theoretical and Applied Sciences, University of Insubria, Busto Arsizio, Italy)
- Fernando Corrales, Mitochondria proteomics in the development of NASH and NAFLD (Faculty of medicine, University of Nav arra,
- 31008 Pamplona, Spain)
- Albert Sickmann, Mitochondria proteomics: regulation and dynamics of importing (Bioanalytics department, Scientific director, ISAS, Do rtmund)
- Wu Y, Aerbesold R
- Mitochondria functional dynamics network (Professor, Deputy Head of Department of Biology HPT E78, Institute of Molecular Systems Biology, Zurich, Switzerland)
- Nenad Ban , Structural Proteomics of Mitochondria protein complexes (Department of Biology, Institute of Molecular Biology and Biophysics, Otto-Stern-Weg 5, ETH Zurich, CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland.
- Alessio Soggiu-- Mitochondria proteomics on the verge of host-pathogen interaction (Dipartimento di Scienze Veterinarie e Sanita Pubblica (DIVET), Universita degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italy)
- 10. Federica Ciregia-- Mitochondria protein acetylation and phenotypic control (Department of Pharmacy, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy)
- 11. Jodi Nunnari-- Mitochondrial proteomics (UC Davis, Department of Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of California Davis, One Shields Avenue, United States)
- 12. Angus McQuibban: Mitochondrial ER contact sites (University of Toronto, Department of Biochemistry, Toronto, Canada).
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Besides bringing together researchers and clinicians from various disciplines to share their scope of research on the seminal role of mitochondria in human disease, this original volume of the book has a broader appeal by exploring the health and disease of mitochondria, with specific emphasis on how mitochondrial dysfunction contributes to the development of various neurodegeneration, cancer, and metabolic disorders. The book also provides a foundational overview of the mitochondrial pathogenic or genetic variants and highlights various analytical tools used in the field of mitochondrial genetics; mitochondrial replacement therapy and strategies geared towards shifting heteroplasmy in individuals with mitochondrial disease; how state-of-the-art omics technologies (proteomics, functional genomics) have been employed to study mitochondrial biology in healthy and disease states; post-translational modifications in the regulation of mitochondrial proteins; and the role of mitochondria in host-pathogen interactions. Current approaches taken to study steady-state characteristics of mitochondrial structure and function in live mammalian cells in the contexts of normal and diseased states, and most recent research efforts to develop compounds with anti-cancer potential by targeting mitochondrial proteases or advances in therapeutic approaches towards mitochondrial disease were also explored. By covering this broad range of topics, our hope is to disseminate a wealth of knowledge on the critical role of mitochondria, and how to probe its function in health and in sickness.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Mitochondrial pathology.
- Publication date
- Advances in experimental medicine and biology, 0065-2598 ; volume 1158
- 9789811383670 (electronic bk.)
- 9811383677 (electronic bk.)