Deer's Treatment of pain : an illustrated guide for practitioners
- Timothy R. Deer, Jason E. Pope, Tim J. Lamer, David Provenzano, editors.
- text file; PDF.
- Cham : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : illustrations (some color)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Intro; Foreword; Reference; Preface; Contents; Contributors; Part I: Introduction;
- 1: The Disease-Based Treatment of Pain; Introduction; Background and Historical Perspective; The Shift to the Anatomical Basis of Pain; The Early Pain Theories; The Specificity Theory (1811); Pattern Theory (1894); Gate Control Theory of Pain (1965); Sensitization Models; Biopsychosocial Model; Overview of the Current Pain Pathway; Types of Pain; Nociceptive Pain; Neuropathic Pain; Acute Versus Chronic Pain; Treatment: A Multimodal Approach; Pharmacological Treatments
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)Antidepressants; Anticonvulsant Medications; Opioids; Interventional Techniques; Injection Therapy; Neuromodulation; Psychological Treatment of Pain; Conclusion: Putting It All Together; Recommended Reading;
- 2: Algorithms of Pain Treatment; Introduction; Assessment Algorithm; History; Physical Exam; Pain Intensity: Pain Intensity Rating Scales; Pain Quality: The McGill Pain Questionnaire; Psychological Considerations; The World Health Organization Analgesic Ladder for Cancer Pain; Criticisms; Opioid Epidemic; Opioid Guidelines
- Treatment Algorithms and GuidelinesLower Back Pain; Neuropathic Pain; Fibromyalgia; Conclusion: Putting It All Together; References;
- 3: The Opioid Epidemic and the Need for a Pain Strategy; Introduction; Background and Historical Perspective; Uses and Indications; Evidence for Efficacy; Pearls and Pitfalls; Recommended Reading; Part II: Anatomy and Physiology of Pain;
- 4: Nerve Function and Neurons; Introduction; Basic Function; Morphology (Fig. 4.1); Orientation; Support Structures; Connective Tissue Relation; Sensory and Motor Nerves; Sensory Nerves; Motor Nerves
- Nerve Signal Processing (Fig. 4.2)Neurotransmitters; Neuroplasticity; Sensitization; Nerve Organization in the Spinal Cord; Other Modulation Mechanisms; Summary; Recommended Reading;
- 5: Peripheral Nerve Anatomy; Spinal Nerves; Cervical Plexus; Brachial Plexus; Lumbar Plexus; Sacral Plexus; Autonomic Nervous System; Recommended Reading;
- 6: Spinal Cord Anatomy; Introduction; External Anatomy; Internal Anatomy; Gray Matter; White Matter (Fig. 6.3); The Sites of Crossing Over; Blood Supply of the Spinal Cord; Cervicothoracic Region: Comprised of C1-T2; Intermediate or Thoracic Region
- Thoracolumbosacral RegionRecommended Reading;
- 7: Anatomy of the Brain and Brain Stem; Introduction; Brain Stem and Ascending Input; Cerebellum; Diencephalon; Cerebrum; Movement and the Basal Ganglia; Limbic System; Recommended Reading;
- 8: Mediators of Pain and Pain Processing; Background and Historical Perspective; Primary Processing of Pain; Ascending Pain Pathways; Receptor Activation; First-Order Neurons; Second-Order Neurons; Third-Order Neurons; Descending Pathways
Designed and written by a team of clinically established academics, this is a unique book that is an excellent manual for physicians practicing pain medicine or treating pain in neurosurgery, orthopedic, neurology, or family practice clinics. As a practical resource, this book is written to be more accessible to the reader and is designed to be more clinically-focused and useful in day-to-day practice. This 102 chapter volume is divided into seven separate sections: Anatomy and Physiology of Pain, Psychology of Pain, Pharmacological Treatment of Pain, Interventional Treatment of Pain, Adjuvant Therapies for Pain and Suggested Reading. The calculated organization of this book is supplemented by key photos, drawings and a self-assessment of four key questions at the end of each chapter ------ thus making it an indispensable, pragmatic resource that will benefit anyone working in the pain management field. Deer's Treatment of Pain: An Illustrated Guide for Practitioners contains pearls for improving knowledge and improving one's practice as a physician.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Treatment of pain
- Includes index.
- 9783030122812 (electronic bk.)
- 3030122816 (electronic bk.)