EU influence beyond conditionality : Turkey plus/minus the EU
- Mario Zucconi.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiii, 347 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Zucconi, Mario, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 309-340) and index.
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Chapter 2. Turkey's polarized politics in the 1990s
- Chapter 3. The European Union in the rise to power of the AKP
- Chapter 4. The European Union as guarantor in Turkey's democratic evolution
- Chapter 5. Critical erosion of the European Union's credibility
- Chapter 6. Turkey's politics without the European Union
- Chapter 7. Turkey plus/minus the EU and implications of an EU minus TurkeyBibliographyIndex.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book presents an in-depth analysis of the role played by the EU accession process in Turkey's democratic evolution and in the empowerment of the Justice and Development Party (AKP) in the early 2000s. Often moving against the grain of consolidated analytical positions, the author finds that the accession process can have a critical impact on the political evolution and institutional setting of an aspiring member state that goes well beyond the simple Europeanization process (or EU accession conditionality). In the case of Turkey, that process created the essential conditions and environment for the country's political modernization by helping the emergence of a "periphery" (including Kurds, "conservative" Muslims and non-Muslims) that secularism had pushed into a marginal, secondary status in Turkish society. Turkey's gradual evolution in an authoritarian direction, following the stalling of the EU accession process, offers further proof of the decisive role that the EU accession can play in a country's democratic advancement. The book additionally indicates how Turkey's EU-driven democratic evolution for a number of years had important implications in terms of regional and global order.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
Browse related items
Start at call number: