Unmooring the Komagata Maru : charting colonial trajectories
- edited by Rita Kaur Dhamoon, Davina Bhandar, Renisa Mawani, and Satwinder Kaur Bains.
- Vancouver : UBC Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 329 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Itinerant Subjects of Empire: Unmooring the Komagata Maru / Davina Bhandar and Rita Kaur Dhamoon
- Part 1: The Politics of Anti-Colonial Resistance in the Journey of the Komagata Maru
- 1 Right to the Empire?: British Imperial Citizenship before the First World War / Ian Christopher Fletcher
- 2 The Last Stretch of the Journey: The Komagata Maru, War-Time Political Radicalism, and Migrant Workers from Punjab in Calcutta / Suchetana Chattopadhyay
- 3 Resistance Struggles: Facing Lies, Deception, and Racism / Satwinder Kaur Bains
- Part 2: Migration Regimes in Colonial Contexts
- 4 The Komagata Maru as Event: Legal Transformations in Migration Regimes / Radhika Mongia
- 5 Borders, Boats, and Brown Bodies: Reading Tamil "Irregular Arrivals" through the History of the Komagata Maru / Nadia Hasan, Sailaja Krishnamurti, Omme-Salma Rahemtullah, Nayani Thiyagarajah, and Nishant Upadhyay
- 6 Temporary Arrivals: The Komagata Maru Passengers and Migrant Labour / Davina Bhandar
- Part 3: Colonial Temporalities of Memory and Cultural Production
- 7 The Komagata Maru Incident as Described in Two Japanese Works / Kaori Mizukami
- 8 (Mis)Representing the Komagata Maru in Indian Print Cultures / Irina Spector-Marks
- 9 The Time and Sound of the Nautical Border / Ayesha Hameed
- Part 4: Disrupting Colonial Formations of Nation
- 10 When Home and Harem Collide: The "Hindu Women's Question": A Mass Spectacle of the Canadian Nation, Family, and Modernity / Enakshi Dua
- 11 The Komagata Maru Recontextualized: Memory, History, and Diasporic Sikh Subnationalism in Anita Rau Badami's Can You Hear the Nightbird Call? / Rajender Kaur
- 12 Past Wrongs and a New National Imaginary: Remembering the Komagata Maru Incident / Alia Somani
- 13 The Politics of Empire: Minor History on a Global Scale / Renisa Mawani
- 14 Poems: Still Chanting Denied Shores / Tariq Malik
- Appendix 1: Historical Figures cited in the Chapters
- Appendix 2: BC Government Apology, May 23, 2008
- Appendix 3: Canadian Government Apology, May 18, 2016 List of Contributors-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Scholars and students of postcolonial studies, transnational studies, Canadian studies, South Asian studies, Canadian history, politics, sociology, and critical ethnic studies will find much to interest them in this book. It will also find an audience within the South Asian diaspora.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Issued also in electronic format.
- 9780774860659 (hardcover)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: