The emergence of trans : cultures, politics and everyday lives
- edited by Ruth Pearce, Igi Moon, Kat Gupta and Deborah Lynn Steinberg.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, an imprint of the Taylor & Francis Group, 2020.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 209 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Gender, bodies and transformation.
- Pearce, Ruth (Of University of Leeds. School of Sociology and Social Policy), editor.
- Moon, Igi, 1959- editor.
- Gupta, Kat, 1984- editor.
- Steinberg, Deborah Lynn, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: The Many-Voiced Monster: Collective Determination and the Emergence of Trans Ruth Pearce, Kat Gupta and Igi Moon
- Part 1: Trans Genealogies
- 1. In the Shadow of Eugenics: Transgender Sterilization Legislation and the Struggle for Self-determination Julian Honkasalo
- 2. Reconceiving the Body: A Surgical Genealogy of Trans-Therapeutics Eric Plemons
- 3. Becoming: Discourses of Trans Emergence, Epiphanies and Oppositions Natacha Kennedy
- 4. The Seam of Skin and Scales Elena Rose
- Part 2: Trans As Everyday Culture
- 5. Creating a Trans Space Kat Gupta
- 6. DIY Identities in a DIY Scene: Trans Music Events in the UK Kirsty Lohman and Ruth Pearce
- 7. On Being a 'Wife': Cis Women Negotiating Relationships with a Trans Partner Clare Beckett-Wrighton
- 8. Sticks and Stones Break Our Bones, and Words Are Damaging: How Language Erases Non-binary People stef m. shuster and Ellen Lamont
- Part 3: Trans In Popular Representation
- 9. Response and Responsibility: Mainstream Media and Lucy Meadows in a Post-Leveson Context Kat Gupta
- 10. 'Girl Brain...Boy Body': Representations of Trans Characters in Children's Picture Books Clare Bartholomaeus and Damien W. Riggs
- Part 4: Trans Epistemologies
- 11. Make Yourself Rami Yasir
- 12. Co-producing Trans Ethical Research Rhi Humphrey, Brona Nic Giolla Easpaid and Rachael Fox
- 13. Nonnormative Ethics: The Ensouled Formation of Trans Mijke van der Drift
- 14. A Genealogy of Genealogies - Retheorising Gender and Sexuality: The Emergence of 'Trans' (ESRC Seminar Series 2012-2014) Igi Moon.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book represents the vanguard of new work in the rapidly growing arena of Trans Studies. Thematically organised, it brings together studies from an international, cross-disciplinary range of contributors to address a range of questions pertinent to the emergence of trans lives and discourses. Examining the ways in which the emergence of trans challenges, develops and extends understandings of gender and reconfigures everyday lives, it asks how trans lives and discourses articulate and contest with issues of rights, education and popular common-sense. With attention to the question of how trans has shaped and been shaped by new modes of social action and networking, The Emergence of Trans also explores what the proliferation of trans representation across multiple media forms and public discourse suggests about the wider cultural moment, and considers the challenges presented for health care, social policy, gender and sexuality theory, and everyday articulations of identity. As such, it will appeal to scholars and students of gender and sexuality studies, as well as activists, professionals and individuals interested in trans lives and discourses.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Gender, bodies and transformation
- 9781138504097 (hardcover)
- 1138504092 (hardcover)
- 9781138504103 (paperback)
- 1138504106 (paperback)
- 9781315145815 (electronic book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: