Reinventing Chinese tradition : the cultural politics of late socialism
- Ka-ming Wu.
- data file.
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 2015.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource.
- Interpretations of culture in the new millennium.
- Wu, Ka-ming.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Paper-Cuts in Modern China : The Search for Modernity, Cultural Tradition, and Women's Liberation
- Narrative Battle : Fabricating Folk Paper-Cutting as an Intangible Heritage
- Traditional Revival with Socialist Characteristics : Propaganda Storytelling Turned into Spiritual Service
- Folk Cultural Production with Danwei Characteristics : Folk Storytelling and Public Relations Activities
- Spirit Cults in Yan'an : Surrogate Rural Subjectivity in the Urbanizing Rural
The final destination of the Long March and center of the Chinese Communist Party's red bases, Yan'an acquired mythical status during the Maoist era. Though the city's significance as an emblem of revolutionary heroism has faded, today's Chinese still glorify Yan'an as a sanctuary for ancient cultural traditions. Ka-ming Wu's ethnographic account of contemporary Yan'an documents how people have reworked the revival of three rural practices--paper-cutting, folk storytelling, and spirit cults--within (and beyond) the socialist legacy. Moving beyond dominant views of Yan'an folk culture as a tool of revolution or object of market reform, Wu reveals how cultural traditions become battlegrounds where conflicts among the state, market forces, and intellectuals in search of an authentic China play out. At the same time, she shows these emerging new dynamics in the light of the ways rural residents make sense of rapid social change. Alive with details, Reinventing Chinese Tradition is an in-depth, eye-opening study of an evolving culture and society within contemporary China.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Yan'an Shi (China) > Politics and government.
- Yan'an Shi (China) > Rural conditions.
- Yan'an Shi (China) > Social life and customs.
- Communism > Social aspects > China > Yan'an Shi.
- Post-communism > Social aspects > China > Yan'an Shi.
- Politics and culture > China > Yan'an Shi.
- Social change > China > Yan'an Shi.
- Ethnology > China > Yan'an Shi.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE > Anthropology > Cultural.
- HISTORY > Asia > China.
- POLITICAL SCIENCE > Political Ideologies > Communism & Socialism.
- Communism > Social aspects.
- Manners and customs.
- Politics and culture.
- Politics and government.
- Post-communism > Social aspects.
- Rural conditions.
- Social change.
- China > Yan'an Shi.
- Electronic book.
- Publication date
- Interpretations of culture in the new millennium
- 9780252097997 (electronic bk.)
- 0252097998 (electronic bk.)