Both sides of the bench
- Barrington Black.
- Hook, Hampshire : Waterside Press, 2015.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource
- Black, Barrington, author.
- AcknowledgementsDedicationAbout the authorBeginningsHitler, a Bee in My Father's BonnetThe War Trundled OnLouis BlackSchool Daze"Lloyd George Knew My Uncle"UniversityFrom Rank OutsiderTo Becoming an Officer and a GentlemanClarence Darrow or Perry Mason?This Crime is Just Not CricketMurder Most FoulDonald Neilson, Known as "The Black Panther"The Heart Valve, the Tie Round the Neck and Alban Beresford ElcockThe Murder Where the Victim Was ... the JudgeThe trialCourts MartialA very different locationA Sad Day for JusticeSome Changes in the Law, and Mainly for the GoodMurder Within the Walls of a Prison ... and Other PlacesThe Boarded Barn MurdersThe death of a policeman's motherAn open-and-shut caseA Little NostalgiaDeuteronomy Chapters 18-20The Circuit BenchRecycled for an Unexpected Second InningsIndex.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Barrington Black was for many years one of the UK's best-known criminal defence lawyers and founder of a solicitor's firm in Leeds now commemorated in the name of a practice known as Black's. He was later a Metropolitan Stipendiary Magistrate and Circuit Judge in the Crown Court before becoming a Supreme Court Justice in Gibraltar.Both Sides of the Bench charts his life, legal and judicial progress and his contributions as legal expert to such programmes as BBC TV Look North and Yorkshire Television's Calendar. Always in demand due to his reputation as a reliable defence solicitor, he was sought out by among others the serial killer Donald Neilson also known as the Black Panther as well as being involved in other high profile cases. His accounts of these and other fascinating cases from his life as a lawyer and judge form the main parts of this compelling book which also looks at his early life, political ambitions and time in the army when he was involved in Courts Martial.It also takes readers behind the scenes to show what it is like to establish and run a legal practice as it grows and develops and contains insights into the normally private and behind the scenes world of the judiciary. Written by one of the UK's best-remembered defence lawyers.Takes the reader behind the scenes of life as a busy lawyer, judge and family man. A valuable social history due to its descriptive passages of parts of London and England and Wales. Contains criticisms of the way criminal defence is at-risk of dilution.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Criminal defense lawyers > Great Britain > Biography.
- Judges > Great Britain > Biography.
- BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY > Lawyers & Judges.
- LAW > Essays.
- LAW > General Practice.
- LAW > Jurisprudence.
- LAW > Paralegals & Paralegalism.
- LAW > Practical Guides.
- LAW > Reference.
- Criminal defense lawyers.
- Great Britain.
- Publication date
- 9781910979006 (electronic bk.)
- 1910979007 (electronic bk.)
- 9781910979013 (electronic bk.)
- 1910979015 (electronic bk.)