Blood revenge : murder on the Hawkesbury, 1799
- Lyn Stewart.
- Dural Delivery Centre, NSW : Rosenberg, 2015.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : color illustrations
- Stewart, Lyn, 1947- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Contents; Acknowledgments; Terms Used; Glossary of Names; Introduction;
- 1. The Death of Hodgkinson and Wimbo;
- 2. The Argyle Reach Settlers;
- 3. Hawkesbury Aborigines Encounter British Colonists;
- 4. Violence Escalates;
- 5. An Unusual Charge for Murder;
- 6. The Trial Begins;
- 7. The Evening of the Murders
- the Evidence;
- 8. Evidence From the New South Wales Corps;
- 9. The Defence;
- 10. The Politics
- Governor Hunter, Mr Dore and the New South Wales Corps;
- 11. The Reckoning, the Verdict, Hunter's Response and the Outcome;
- 12. Conclusions; Epilogue; Endnotes; Bibliography.
- Blood Revenge examines the first time that white men were held to account in a criminal court of New South Wales for killing Australian Aborigines. It happened in 1799, just 11 years after the New South Wales colony began. This book answers the disturbing question: Why were five men found guilty of killing two Aborigines-yet they were never punished? The story lays bare the nature of black-white relations at the colony's Hawkesbury River frontier settlement. Governor John Hunter tried to carry out his orders and stop the wanton killing of Aborigines. Inevitably, there was a divide between policy and practice. In Blood Revenge the politics of this murder case reads like a missing chapter of Doc Evatt's Rum Rebellion.
- Trials (Murder) > Australia > New South Wales > History.
- Aboriginal Australians > Crimes against > Australia > New South Wales.
- Culture and law > History.
- Hawkesbury River (N.S.W.) > History.
- HISTORY > Australia & New Zealand.
- Aboriginal Australians > Crimes against.
- Culture and law.
- Trials (Murder)
- New South Wales.
- New South Wales > Hawkesbury River.
- Publication date
- 9781925078589 (electronic bk.)
- 1925078582 (electronic bk.)