Words on the edge : Extraction: Art on the Edge of the Abyss
- Berkeley : The CODEX Foundation, 2019.
- Physical description
- 1 portfolio (2 sheets, 26 broadsides) : illustrations (chiefly color) ; in box 48 x 32 x 3 cm
At the library
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|Z239 .C634 W67 2019 FF||In-library use|
- Koch, Peter Rutledge, editor, printer.
- Dobb, Edwin, 1950- editor.
- Hirshfield, Jane, 1953- editor.
- Zwicky, Jan, 1955- editor.
- Tanahashi, Kazuaki, 1933- calligrapher.
- Dewinetz, Jason, 1970- printer.
- Seibert, Richard, printer.
- Murphy, Jamie (Printer), printer.
- Reese, Harry, printer.
- Reese, Sandra Liddell, printer.
- Gotthold, Peggy, printer.
- Van Velzer, Lawrence G., printer.
- Wagener, Richard, printer.
- Pastotnik, Chad, printer.
- Pascoe, Juan printer.
- Maret, Russell, printer.
- Clayton, Norman printer.
- Reagh, Patrick, printer.
- Elsted, Crispin, 1947- printer.
- Elsted, Jan, printer.
- Rice, Felicia, printer.
- Cohick, Aaron, printer.
- Parrett, Aaron, printer.
- Bruggeman, Inge, printer.
- Bryan, Tara, printer.
- Dern, Marie C. (Marie Christensen), printer.
- Schanilec, Gaylord, printer.
- Clark, Jonathan, 1952- printer.
- Leech, Tom, printer.
- Campbell, Carolee, printer.
- Codex Foundation, issuing body.
- John DeMerritt Bookbinding, binder.
- Time Capsule Found on the Dead Planet / Margaret Atwood (Peter Koch, Printer, Berkeley, California)
- The Wild Marsh / Rick Bass (Greenboathouse Press, Jason Dewinetz, Printer, Vernon British Columbia)
- Questionnaire / Wendell Berry (Larkspur Press, Grey Zeitz, Printer, Monterey, Kentucky)
- All Over the World / Robert Bringhurst (Richard Seibert, Printer, Berkeley, California)
- The Turf-Cutter Speaks / Annemarie Ní Churreáin (The Salvage Press, Jamie Murphy, Printer, Dublin, Ireland)
- Mining Words / Peter Coyote (Turkey Press, Harry & Sandra Liddell Reese, Printers, Isla Vista, California)
- How the Milky Way Was Made / Natalie Diaz (Foolscap Press, Peggy Gotthold & Lawrence Van Velzer, Printers, Santa Cruz, California)
- Corrosion / Edwin Dobb (Mixolydian Editions, Richard Wagener, Printer, Petaluma, California)
- One River / David James Duncan (Deep Wood Press, Chad Pastotnik, Printer, Mancelona, Michigan)
- A Clearing / Forrest Gander (Taller Martin Pescador, Juan Pascoe, Printer, Tacambaro, Mexico)
- The Blind / Eliza Griswold (Russell Maret, Printer, New York, New York)
- A Map to the Next World / Joy Harjo (Classic Letterpress, Norman Clayton, Printer, Ojai, California)
- September, Inverness / Robert Hass (Patrick Reagh, Printer, Sebastapol, California)
- Triple Moments of Light & Industry / Brenda Hillman (Barbarian Press, Crispin & Jan Elsted, Printers, Mission, British Columbia)
- Ledger / Jane Hirshfield (Peter Koch, Printer, Berkeley, California)
- Trail of Tears: Our Removal / Linda Hogan (Moving Parts Press, Felicia Rice, Printer, Santa Cruz, California)
- Singularity / Marie Howe (Nomad Letterpress, Pat Randle, Printer, Whittington Court, England)
- The Nature of Generosity / William Kittredge (The Press at Colorado College, Aaron Cohick, Printer, Colorado Springs, Colorado)
- The Blind Horses / Ed Lahey (The Territorial Press, Aaron Parrett, Printer, Helena, Montana)
- Informed by Indifference / Barry Lopez (INK-A! Press, Inge Bruggeman, Printer, Reno, Nevada)
- Cerro Rico / Emily McGiffin (Walking Bird Press, Tara Bryan, Printer, Newfoundland)
- The Niagara River / Kay Ryan (Jungle Garden Press, Marie Dern, Printer, Fairfax, California)
- In Vento / Gaylord Schanilec (Midnight Paper Sales, Gaylord Schanilec, Printer, St. Paul, Minnesota)
- Dillingham, Alaska, the Willow Tree Bar / Gary Snyder (Artichoke Press, Jonathan Clark, Printer, Mountain View, California)
- Black Center / Arthur Sze (The Press at the Palace of Governors, Thomas Leech, Printer, Santa Fe, New Mexico)
- Seeing / Jan Zwicky (Ninja Press, Carolee Campbell, Printer, Sherman Oaks, California).
"[A] limited edition portfolio of poetry and lyric prose in broadside format, edited by Peter Rutledge Koch with contributing editors Edwin Dobb, Jane Hirshfield, and Jan Zwicky. The portfolio, consisting of twenty-six poems and lyrical texts addressing themes of nature and its irresponsible destruction, is a part of an international artist's intervention--EXTRACTION: Art on the Edge of the Abyss. Twenty-six notable poets, artists, and writers have been paired with an equal number of highly regarded letterpress printers from four countries; each has been invited to produce an editioned broadside/print especially for this portfolio. WORDS on the Edge will be sold to raise funds for the greater EXTRACTION project, which is sponsored by the CODEX Foundation as our commitment to art and the environment." -- From publisher's website, viewed August 5, 2019 https://www.codexfoundation.org/publications/words-on-the-edge
- "EXTRACTION: Art on the Edge of the Abyss is a multimedia, multi-venue, cross-border art intervention that will investigate extractive industry in all of its forms (from mining and drilling to the reckless exploitation of water, soil, trees, marine life, and other natural resources). The project will expose and interrogate extraction's negative social and environmental consequences, from the damage done to people, especially indigenous and disenfranchised communities, to ravaged landscapes and poisoned water to climate change and its many troubling implications." -- From project website, viewed August 5, 2019 https://www.extractionart.org/
- Supplemental links
- Included Work
- Container of: Atwood, Margaret, 1939- Time capsule found on the dead planet.
- Container of: Bass, Rick, 1958- Wild marsh.
- Container of: Berry, Wendell, 1934- Questionnaire.
- Container of: Bringhurst, Robert. All over the world.
- Container of: Ní Churreáin, Annemarie Turf-cutter speaks.
- Container of: Coyote, Peter. Mining words.
- Container of: Diaz, Natalie How the Milky Way was made.
- Container of: Dobb, Edwin, 1950- Corrosion.
- Container of: Duncan, David James. One river.
- Container of: Gander, Forrest, 1956- Clearing.
- Container of: Griswold, Eliza, 1973- Blind.
- Container of: Harjo, Joy. Map to the next world.
- Container of: Hass, Robert. September, Inverness.
- Container of: Hillman, Brenda. Triple moments of light & industry.
- Container of: Hirshfield, Jane, 1953- Poems. Selections
- Container of: Hogan, Linda Trail of tears: Our removal.
- Container of: Howe, Marie, 1950- Singularity.
- Container of: Kittredge, William. Nature of generosity.
- Container of: Lahey, Ed. Blind horses.
- Container of: Lopez, Barry Holstun, 1945- Informed by indifference.
- Container of: McGiffin, Emily, 1980- Cerro rico.
- Container of: Ryan, Kay. Niagara River.
- Container of: Schanilec, Gaylord. In vento.
- Container of: Snyder, Gary, 1930- Dillingham, Alaska, the Willow Tree Bar.
- Container of: Sze, Arthur. Black center.
- Container of: Zwicky, Jan, 1955- Seeing.
- Extraction: Art on the Edge of the Abyss (Project)
- Nature > Poetry.
- Nature in art.
- Ecology > Poetry.
- Ecology in art.
- Environmental degradation > Poetry.
- Environmental degradation in art.
- Climatic changes > Poetry.
- Climatic changes in art.
- Artists' books > California > Berkeley > Specimens.
- Letterpress printing > Specimens.
- Climatic changes.
- Ecology in art.
- Environmental degradation.
- Environmental degradation in art.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Extraction: Art on the Edge of the Abyss
- Portfolio comprises title leaf (with additional text, "The Edge," by Robert Bringhurst on verso), table of contents leaf, with colophon on verso, and 26 broadsides. Broadsides printed by various printers; each is autographed by the author, some are numbered and/or autographed by the printers, as well.
- "Words on the Edge is published in an edition of eighty portfolios by the CODEX Foundation for the Extraction: Art on the Edge of the Abyss project ... Fifty numbered copies comprise the main edition. Twenty-six copies are designated P/P (A-Z) and reserved for the printers. Four hors de commerce copies reserved for exhibition and the CODEX Foundation archives are designated h/c (1-4)."--Colophon.
- Calligraphic brush work on the portfolio cover and title page by Kazuaki Tanahashi. Housing constructed by John DeMerritt Bookbinding in Emeryville, California.
- Issued in box.
- Special Collections & University Archives copy 1: Copy number 7.
Browse related items
Start at call number: