An introduction to design and culture : 1900 to the present
- Penny Sparke.
- Fourth edition.
- Abindgon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2020.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 316 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm
- Sparke, Penny, author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Design and Culture revisited
- PART I: Design and Modernity, 1900-1945
- Consuming Modernity
- The Impacts of Technology
- The Designer for Industry
- Modernism and Design
- Designing Identities
- PART II: Design and Post-modernity, 1945-1990
- Consuming Post-modernity
- Technology and Design, a New Alliance
- Post-modernism and Design
- Redesigning Identities
- PART III: Designing the New Century, 1990 to the present
- Consumer Culture at the Millenium
- Design in the Digital Age
- New Designers
- Theory and Practice in the New Century
- Designing Identities in a Globalised World.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
An Introduction to Design and Culture provides a comprehensive guide to the changing relationships between design and culture from 1900 to the present day with an emphasis on five main themes: Design and consumption Design and technology The design profession Design theory Design and identities. This fourth edition extends the traditional definition of design as covering product design, furniture design, interior design, fashion design and graphic design to embrace its more recent manifestations, which include service design, user-interface design, co-design, and sustainable design, among others. It also discusses the relationship between design and the new media and the effect of globalisation on design. Taking a broadly chronological approach, Professor Sparke employs historical methods to show how these themes developed through the twentieth century and into the twenty-first century and played a role within modernism, postmodernism and beyond. Over a hundred illustrations are used throughout to demonstrate the breadth of design and examples - among them design in Modern China, the work of Apple Computers Ltd., and design thinking - are used to elaborate key ideas. The new edition remains essential reading for undergraduate and postgraduate students of design studies, cultural studies and visual arts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781138495845 hardback alkaline paper
- 1138495840 hardback alkaline paper
- 9781138495852 paperback alkaline paper
- 1138495859 paperback alkaline paper
- 9781351023283 ePub ebook
- 9781351023290 PDF ebook
- 9781351023276 Mobipocket ebook
- 9781351023306 ebook
Browse related items
Start at call number: