Alternatives to democracy in twentieth-century Europe : collectivist visions of modernity
- Sabrina P. Ramet.
- Budapest ; New York : CEU Press, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 477 pages ; 23 cm
- Ramet, Sabrina P., 1949- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Chapter 1. Rival Visions of Alternative Modernity: An Introduction
- Chapter 2. An Evolving Vision of an Alternative Modernity: Soviet Communism
- Chapter 3. The Quest for an Alternative Modernity: Fascism and Nazism, Part I
- Chapter 4. The Quest for an Alternative Modernity: Fascism and Nazism, Part II
- Chapter 5. The Quest for Freedom and Solidarity: Anarchism in Spain Epilogue: In Defense of Liberal Democracy-and a Warning.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Alternatives to Democracy in Twentieth-Century Europe: Collectivist Visions of Modernity, examines the historical examples of Soviet Communism, Italian Fascism, German Nazism, and Spanish Anarchism, suggesting that, in spite of their differences, they had some key features in common, in particular their shared hostility to individualism, representative government, laissez faire capitalism, and the decadence they associated with modern culture. But rather than seeking to return to earlier ways of working these movements and regimes sought to design a new future - an alternative future - that would restore the nation to spiritual and political health. The Fascists, for their part, specifically promoted palingenesis, which is to say the spiritual rebirth of the nation. The book closes with a long epilogue, in which I defend liberal democracy, highlighting its strengths and advantages. In this chapter, the author identifies five key choke points, which would-be authoritarians typically seek to control, subvert, or instrumentalize: electoral rules, the judiciary, the media, hate speech, and surveillance, and look at the cases of Viktor Orban's Hungary, Jaroslaw Kaczynski's Poland, and Donald Trump's United States.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Collectivism > Europe > History > 20th century.
- Democracy > Europe > 20th century.
- Communism > Europe > History > 20th century.
- Fascism > Europe > History > 20th century.
- Socialism > Europe > History > 20th century.
- Anarchism > Europe > History > 20th century.
- Europe > Politics and government > 20th century.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9789633863091 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9633863090 hardcover alkaline paper
- 9789633863183 paperback
- 963386318X paperback
Browse related items
Start at call number: