Ambiguous transitions : gender, the state, and everyday life in socialist and postsocialist Romania
- Jill Massino.
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 453 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Massino, Jill, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 419-443) and index.
- Acknowledgements Introduction: Ambiguous Transitions: Gender, the State, and Everyday Life Romania from Socialism to Postsocialism
- Chapter 1. The Times, They are a Changin': Gender, Citizenship, and the Transition to Socialism
- Chapter 2. Children of the Revolution: Gender, and the (Ab)Normality of Growing up Socialist
- Chapter 3. Career Opportunities: Gender, Work, and Identity
- Chapter 4. Love and Marriage: Gender and the Transformation of Marital Roles and Relations
- Chapter 5. It's a Family Affair: Motherhood, Reproductive Politics, and State Welfare
- Chapter 6. Good Times, Bad Times: Gender, Consumption, and Lifestyle
- Chapter 7. Revolution Blues: Gender and the Transformation from Socialism to Pluarlism Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Drawing on evidence that ranges from government records to historical media and oral history interviews, Ambiguous Transitions provides an accessible, intimate exploration of gender and citizenship in socialist Romania. By connecting women's everyday lives to larger political, economic, and social processes, author Jill M. Massino challenges conventional understandings of life in socialist Romania as uniformly oppressive. Organized around four key aspects of everyday life-education, work, marriage and family, and leisure-these portraits of life in the Eastern bloc shed light on the Cold War, modernity, and the salience of socialist beliefs and practices in people's understanding of post-socialism.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781785335983 (hardback ; alk. paper)
- 1785335987 (hardback ; alk. paper)
- 9781785335990 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: