The Wiley handbook of Paulo Freire
- edited by Carlos Alberto Torres.
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley-Blackwell, 2019.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xviii, 606 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Wiley handbooks in education.
At the library
Education Library (at SAL1&2)
The Education Library is closed for construction. Request items for pickup at another library.
|LB880 .F732 W55 2019||Unknown|
- Torres, Carlos Alberto, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Notes on Contributors ix
- Foreword by Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO for The Wiley Handbook on Paulo Freire xvii
- Part I History and Context of a Global Public Intellectual 1
- Introduction: Paulo Freire and the Dialectics of the Local and the Global 3 Carlos Alberto Torres
- Part II From Recife to the World: Paulo Freire, Pilgrim of Utopia 31
- 1 Freire's Intellectual and Political Journey 33 Moacir Gadotti
- 2 Paulo Freire: Education, Culture, and the University: A Historical Memory from More Than Fifty Years Ago 51 Carlos Rodrigues Brandao
- 3 Paulo Freire and the Movements of Popular Culture's Educational Philosophy 67 Bruno B. Costa
- 4 Wake Up and Dream!: A Polyphonic Contextualization of Paulo Freire 83 Peter Lownds
- 5 Finding Paulo Freire in Chile 99 Marcela Gajardo
- 6 Paulo Freire's Place in Latin America's History and Future 121 Adriana Puiggros
- 7 Paulo Freire Working in and from Europe 133 Luiza Cortesao
- 8 Freire and Africa: A Focus and Impact on Education 149 N'Dri Therese Assie?Lumumba, Jose Cossa, and Yusef Waghid
- 9 Freirean Ideas and Practice in Asia: The Cases of Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea 167 Chen?Wei Chang, Sung Sang Yoo, and Shigeru Asanuma
- 10 Freire in China 191 Zhicheng Huang and Qing Ma
- 11 Reading Freire in the Middle East: Vision 2030 and the Reimagining of Education in Saudi Arabia 199 Jevdet Rexhepi
- 12 Paulo Freire's Continued Relevance for U.S. Education 221 Martin Carnoy and Rebecca Tarlau
- Part III Freire and the Epistemology of the Global South: Intersections and Relationships 239
- 13 Rereading Freire and Habermas: Philosophical Anthropology and Reframing Critical Pedagogy and Educational Research in the Neoliberal Anthropocene 241 Raymond Allen Morrow and Carlos Alberto Torres
- 14 Juxtaposing the Educational Ideas of Gandhi and Freire 275 Ratna Ghosh
- 15 Education for "Not Being Duped" in an Era of Fake News: Insights from John Dewey and Paulo Freire 291 John Rogers
- 16 Praxis, Hegemony, and Consciousness in the Work of Antonio Gramsci and Paulo Freire 305 Peter Mayo
- 17 Education for Humanity: Freire and Sen Re-Examined 321 Anamika Gupta, Nandini Chatterjee Singh, and Anantha K. Duraiappah
- 18 Bases and Connections of Paulo Freire's "Thought in Action" 335 Afonso Celso Scocuglia
- Part IV Class, Gender, Race, Religion, the State, and a "Missing Chapter" in Freire's Oeuvre 357
- 19 Paulo Freire, Class Relations, and the Tasks of the Critical Scholar/Activist in Education 359 Michael W. Apple
- 20 The Connections Between Education and Power in the Liberatory Feminist Classroom: Appreciating and Critiquing Freire 379 Sondra Hale
- 21 Engaging Gender and Freire: From Discoursal Vigilance to Concrete Possibilities for Inclusion 389 Lauren Ila Misiaszek
- 22 A Freirean Journey from Chicana and Chicano Studies to Critical Race Theory 417 Daniel G. Solorzano
- 23 Callings, Myths, Liberation, and Communion: Toward an Understanding of Freirean Religiosity 431 Cristobal Madero S. J.
- 24 Paulo Freire and the "Logic of Reinvention": Power, the State, and Education in the Global Age 445 Raymond Allen Morrow
- 25 Ecopedagogy: The Missing Chapter of Pedagogy of the Oppressed 463 Greg William Misiaszek and Carlos Alberto Torres
- Part V Paulo Freire and the Construction of Democratic Education: What Is Freire's Currency for Educational Reform? 489 26 Reimagining Teacher Education to Promote Relationships of Caring and Advocacy: Finding a Way Back to Hope 491 Sonia Nieto
- 27 Paulo Freire and Globalized Higher Education 505 Jose Eustaquio Romao
- 28 Thesis Supervision: A Freirean Approach 521 Peter Roberts
- 29 Paulo Freire and the Debate on Lifelong Learning 535 Peter Mayo
- 30 Freirean Dialectics and Dialogue 551 John D. Holst
- 31 Fertilizing the Unusual (The Praxis of a Connective Organization) 565 Angela Biz Antunes, Francisca Pini, Paulo Roberto Padilha, and Sonia Couto
- Index 585.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's summary
Provides new insights on the lasting impact of famed philosopher and educator Paulo Freire 50 years after the publication of his masterpiece, Pedagogy of the Oppressed, this book brings new perspectives on rethinking and reinventing Brazilian educator and philosopher Paulo Freire. Written by the most premier exponents and experts of Freirean scholarship, it explores the currency of Freire's contribution to social theory, educational reform, and democratic education. It also analyzes the intersections of Freire's theories with other crucial social theorists such as Gramsci, Gandhi, Habermas, Dewey, Sen, etc. The Wiley Handbook of Paulo Freire studies the history and context of the man as a global public intellectual, moving from Brazil to the rest of the world and back. Each section offers insides on the epistemology of the global south initiated by Freire with his work in Latin America; the connections between class, gender, race, religion, the state and eco-pedagogy in the work of Freire; and the contributions he made to democratic education and educational reform. Presents original theory and analysis of Freire's life and work Offers unique and comprehensive analysis of the reception and application of Paulo Freire in international education on all continents Provides a complete historical study of Freire's contributions to education Systematically analyzes the impact of Freire in teachers training, higher education, and lifelong learning The Wiley Handbook of Paulo Freire is an ideal book for courses on international and comparative education, pedagogy, education policy, international development, and Latin America studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Freire, Paulo, 1921-1997
- Education > Philosophy.
- Education > Brazil > Philosophy.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Title variation
- Handbook of Paulo Freire
- Wiley handbooks in education
- 9781119236719 (hardcover)
- 1119236711 (hardcover)
- 9781119236764 (ePub ebook)
- 9781119236740 (PDF ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: